OKI ES9541 vs Xerox C75

mazengh

Are these two printers comparable? The oki model is new. Has anyone tried it? how does this new led system fare? it looks like the only disadvantage OKI's got is that it doesn't have inline finishing options like xerox. Not sure about the click charge also... Oki does provide the advantage of being able to print clear gloss and white ink.

Hi, I am an Certified OKI Tech. Personally, I would not think that these two are compatible, simply compare the cost, you get what you pay for works here and pretty much everywhere else. X C75 is a beast, while OKIs are really nice, reliable and innovative they hold their niche but not as productive as Xeroxes C75 unit. Well, lets compare:
Finishing Options X yes, O no but I am sure OKI will come up with some should these printer prove to be a success.
White / Clear toner X no, O yes - which is an awesome option, if this is what you need - no point to compare, go get one.
LED exposure arrays are just fine, so you know - after buying OKI's engines for Phaser 7400, Xerox/Fuji built their printers using the same technology - Xerox Phaser 7500 and 7800 are LED based and most likely for 1000 lasers went bad there is may be One LED unit and that is a BIG MAY BE. I dealt with OKis for last 5-6 years, can hardly remember changing LED more than once or twice also - if it gets dirty - wipe it and you done, if toner/dust gets inside of laser unit - good luck with that.
Service contract available with toner included X-yes, O not that heard of, may be they will change the politics with this one... since you'd be buying it new, it would be appropriate to talk to your sales rep - I promise you, they won't/can't force you to buy the unit just because you called and asked few questions, same goes if you will request few samples too.
If you wind up buying one, please reply with how do you like it.
Keep in mind that model is new, the whole engine is new and raw, double check about the "lemon" policy - how does it work if you'd have to get it exchanged or returned in case it won't perform as promised, better yet get that in writing so it won't be just a sales speech. If there will be a warranty extension offered/available - take it, once again - it is new/raw engine...
Good luck

I just purchased an Oki c931 which is the CMYK-only version of the ES9541 (known as the c941 here in the USA). I paid about $4400. USD - the C941 retails for $20.000 USD, quite a jump for the addition of the white/clear option.

Oki's in general should never be purchased as production machines, with the exception of envelopes (that's what I use them for). They are best for short-run and prototyping. The ES9541 certainly has to be viewed as such.

The problem is the imaging drum costs, and on this new series the drum cost has been doubled without any increase in yield. What Oki has done in the favor of the owner is to reduce the toner cost, by a factor of half, in the form of increasing the cartridge yield from 15M to 38M as well as a reduced retail price. But that's not enough to offset the high drum costs. Belt and fuser life has been increased from 100M to 150M, but the increased consumable costs negate the higher yields....no savings here.

One major change is that paper stock no longer makes contact with the drums, just the belt. This allows them to increase the claimed maximum paper thickness to 360gsm (16 point). The Xerox caps out at 300 gsm. This configuration should also eliminate the color register issue that was prevalent on the 9600/9800/910/930 series it replaces.

The new Oki's are rated at 50 ppm max; the Xerox 75. If you need high volume output,I'd say it's got to be Xerox. Of course, you could probably buy 10-15 Oki's for the price of a C75.

if that's the case, then it seems like an attractive option to buy the cheap CMYK version, especially if it offers the same quality. we don't always get jobs for digital, it's just once in a while, so this might be an attractive option.

Wow- $20k, I want to see how well that will sell. I am guessing Oki followed Xante, intec and others... Oki with envelope feeder $17k, Oki retrofitted to print on roll media, $20k, now Oki with clear/white toner, why not $20k? Right?
I think it will be purchased by handful of customers who really need the options offered.

By the way, Canon C1+ has clear option as well and nice used machines are just few grand these days.

For 20 grand a pop, I'd out that so many okis could be bought to fit in to the price of xerox.

In the US, they also released a third version in the new series, the C911 ($3200.) which is basically the same as the 931 but with reduced toner capacity at a higher toner price. Makes no sense at all.

Table Comparison

Table Comparison

I have came up with a comparison table below, please let me know what items I still need to add.
Xerox C75OKI C931
Print speedA4: 76ppm colour/mono; A3: 39ppm colour/monoA4: 50ppm colour/mono; A3: 28ppm colour/mono
Paper handlingFrom B5 to SRA3From A6 to SRA3 and banner lengths up to 1.3m
Paper stockUp to 300gsm single sided and 300gsm duplexUp to 360gsm single sided and 320gsm duplex
Maximum paper capacity1,900 sheets of 80gsm2,950 sheets of 80gsm
Resoultion2400 x 2400 dpi1200 x 1200 dpi
Suitable for Business CardsNoYes
Suitable for EnvelopsNoYes
Suitable for ProofingYesNo
Power supply220 to 240VAC / 50HzSingle phase 230V AC +/-10%, frequency 50/60Hz +/- 2%
Power consumptionPrinting/Standby/Sleep Modes 1,440W / 360W / 339WTypical: 1100W; Max: 1600W; Idle: 40W (average); Power Save: <34W; Deep Sleep: <4W; Off Mode: <0.5W

Last edited:
Voltage? in the USA, Oki 120, Xerox 240 volt.

Minimum Media Dimensions: Oki 3x5", Xerox: 4 x 5.6"

Fiery: Xerox - yes, Oki - no ($5000. USD additional)

Sounds like you're saying there aren't many benefits to upgrading to the new Oki's.

At the very least, do the straight shooter envelope feeders work with it?

How does the paper not touch the drums on these new machines? Is there an additional image transfer belt inside them?

Hi mazengh,

We're an authorised OKI ES partner within the UK. I am personally very knowledgeable on both the ES9431 and ES9541 boxes. What I would say is that it's worth getting in touch with an ES dealer to organise for a full hands-on demonstration of both devices using your files and media.

The ES9431 and ES9541 share exactly the same engine - the only real difference is that the fifth toner bay is blanked out in the ES9431.

The ES9541 is good for users wishing to print onto coloured card or material (T-shirts, etc). Its white toner can be laid down first or last and gives a very nice finish.

On the ES9541 you can switch out the white toner in place of clear toner but I will warn you that it doesn't come close to a proper spot varnish finish. OKI's toners are already quite shiny so adding more clear toner on top of existing toner only slightly increases the overall shine so you will have to catch the light just right to see any difference. If you have a matt paper and print with clear toner without any CMYK toner close by then you will see it better but it's still nowhere near as effective as a proper varnish.

Before the ES9431 came out the market leader in the desktop A3/SRA3 graphic art printer sector was the Xerox Phaser 7800. However, the ES9431 blows the Xerox out of the water when it comes to its paper handling capabilities. OKI even have a de-curling mechanism on the ES9431/9541, which the Xerox doesn't have.

The ES9431 has a better managed print cost per page via their OKISmart plan. Xerox's PagePack plan is now completely uncompetitive because they've switched to charging double for all prints larger than A4 whereas OKI charge the same for all sizes up to and including SRA3!

Our ES9431 customers are extremely happy with their choice and several of those moved away from the Xerox box.

If you have money to play with and want to go above the ES9431 then unless you want white/clear I would definitely recommend the Xerox C75/J75 or the new Xerox Colour C60/C70 (Xerox's PagePack is single click for A3/SRA3 on these). The running costs are much lower but the kit itself is far more expensive so you need to be doing significant print volume to justify the expense.

We also supply the Xerox Production range on PagePack so if you're interested in one of these then you should definitely organise a demo. I may even be able to put you in touch one of our existing customers so you can get their point of view if it helps.

I hope this post is useful but feel free to get in touch if you have questions.

Best wishes

Nick Simpson
Devil Ltd

Hi Everyone

Please be aware that several months ago OKI replaced the ES9431 with the imaginatively titled Pro9431. The ES9541 is now the Pro9541 and there's a new entry called the Pro9542. The Pro9542 lays down white first so it's ideal for printing onto coloured card (since the 9541 does a double-pass). The Pro9542 can not put the white down last so is not suitable for T-shirt printing. It is also unable to print with clear toner.

The new Pro range has larger capacity toners to give them an even cheaper cost per page.

You can still opt to buy consumables yourself or enter into an OKISmart agreement. Feel free to contact me directly for info or pricing.

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
Hi Everyone and People in Print
I run a busy print shop and bought an OKI recently. The laser is very capable, especially on heavier stock. BUT.. the consumable costs are sky rocket high! I won't be purchasing on more OKI's.. I recommend that if you are thinking of high volume DON'T BUY THIS OKI 9$$$ range. I have BIZ HUBS which are excellent and cheaper to run than OKI. OKI have a good machine but have lost the plot completely on consumable prices.
IMHO, OKI have shot themselves in the foot with this product by trying to get a fast return on $ investments. I'm afraid HP is going to crash their consumable based operation very soon.

Hi Everyone and People in Print
I run a busy print shop and bought an OKI recently. The laser is very capable, especially on heavier stock. BUT.. the consumable costs are sky rocket high! I won't be purchasing on more OKI's.. I recommend that if you are thinking of high volume DON'T BUY THIS OKI 9$$$ range. I have BIZ HUBS which are excellent and cheaper to run than OKI. OKI have a good machine but have lost the plot completely on consumable prices.
IMHO, OKI have shot themselves in the foot with this product by trying to get a fast return on $ investments. I'm afraid HP is going to crash their consumable based operation very soon.

Hi Mark, which OKI printer did you purchase? Are you buying consumables yourself or are you on their OKISmart click contract?

Cheers, Nick

I have read about Xante printers...not real good. Does anyone have a good solution for digital envelopes.
The "good " feeder they want to sell me looks like a toy. I know they changed engines and I am concerned
about the paper path. 38 years and counting in Pittsburgh, Thanks. Neil

I have read about Xante printers...not real good. Does anyone have a good solution for digital envelopes.
The "good " feeder they want to sell me looks like a toy. I know they changed engines and I am concerned
about the paper path. 38 years and counting in Pittsburgh, Thanks. Neil

Hi NeilPrints, if you have an OKI with a Xante badge then you could go for the StraightShooter (Version 2 just launching) or Intec Feeding system. I don't know about suppliers in Pittsburgh but good luck.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Everyone

Please be aware that several months ago OKI replaced the ES9431 with the imaginatively titled Pro9431. The ES9541 is now the Pro9541 and there's a new entry called the Pro9542. The Pro9542 lays down white first so it's ideal for printing onto coloured card (since the 9541 does a double-pass). The Pro9542 can not put the white down last so is not suitable for T-shirt printing. It is also unable to print with clear toner.

The new Pro range has larger capacity toners to give them an even cheaper cost per page.

You can still opt to buy consumables yourself or enter into an OKISmart agreement. Feel free to contact me directly for info or pricing.

Cheers

Nick
Dear Nick!
Thanks so much for your information. We also have one Oki Pro9542 printer nơ. And we have two problems, can you help me:
1. Thiss time, we very want to expand this model Pro9542wt for heat transfer printing on black tshirt, hat, and mugs. Do you have any way for this problem? Can we modify it with double pass?
2. Besides, for OKI pro9541, can it put white layer both under and above CMYK layer?
Thanks and waiting for your reply

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back