Xerox 1000i Trail Edge Bleed (blurry print)

It's tricky to see on that. Is the bottom of the image the trail edge?

As you can see in the following pic (not through a loop just zoomed in) the fade is easily noticeable on right hand side on 1000i print.
The other 2 were old jobs run on our 800. Looks like quite a different dot but both were set by default to run a 200 dot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3002/Xerox1000i/1000i-vs-800-comp.jpg

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with the 1000i, I am looking at changing to the Versant 2100 from a Canon Imagepress, on my test prints I can't see the fade off issue using a loupe, how is your 2100 going now? Earlier you said you were not impressed with the quality vs your 800.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with the 1000i, I am looking at changing to the Versant 2100 from a Canon Imagepress, on my test prints I can't see the fade off issue using a loupe, how is your 2100 going now? Earlier you said you were not impressed with the quality vs your 800.

Thanks Command-P. The Versant is holding up well. Once we got over the matte print and after seeing the 1000i the trail edge bleed isn't that bad. Still on some jobs we see it but now everyone else is having the same issues it's become a bit more acceptable plus we're always pushing to get the best out of our machines no matter run length vs some of our competitors who use the old "Digital is get what you get. Want better print Offset".

Downtime has been very low on the Versant which is always great. Ours has also been unlocked for the 660mm print through bypass tray.

Anyone find out any further info from Xerox regarding the trail edge issue? We have seen pretty poor results on several 2100 machines. Certain colours, mainly green text with screen of cyan and yellow as well as greys. Reversed out type can also look very average in certain circumstances.

There is an enhanced transfer mode that you can turn on and off - which is an NVM setting - xerox gave as a technical bulletin with instructions. This gave an improvement to some jobs on certain stocks.

We have only seen work printed from a Fiery, would like to know if people have the same problem with Freeflow...

Anyone find out any further info from Xerox regarding the trail edge issue? We have seen pretty poor results on several 2100 machines. Certain colours, mainly green text with screen of cyan and yellow as well as greys. Reversed out type can also look very average in certain circumstances.

There is an enhanced transfer mode that you can turn on and off - which is an NVM setting - xerox gave as a technical bulletin with instructions. This gave an improvement to some jobs on certain stocks.

We have only seen work printed from a Fiery, would like to know if people have the same problem with Freeflow...

I have not had a situation where I could not dial out a trail edge flip problem if it showed up on our 2100. Usually takes a combination of transfer bias and trail edge flip though.

What is the NVM # for the enhanced transfer mode?

Any update with your trail edge issue Josh?
Hey Command-P,

Nope, no update. The 1000i still has the issue and our old 800 has been reinstalled. The 1000i is only getting overflow work and gold/silver jobs as the 800 print is far superior.
Haven't heard anything from Xerox on the issue since our 800 went back in. Another company in our area who upgraded an 800 has had their 1000i removed completely.

Strange that others on here aren't seeing the issue but a few companies in NZ are.

Hey Command-P,

Nope, no update. The 1000i still has the issue and our old 800 has been reinstalled. The 1000i is only getting overflow work and gold/silver jobs as the 800 print is far superior.
Haven't heard anything from Xerox on the issue since our 800 went back in. Another company in our area who upgraded an 800 has had their 1000i removed completely.

Strange that others on here aren't seeing the issue but a few companies in NZ are.

I think I have seen it pop up a few times on our 1000i, but it's nothing consistent. If it was showing up in all of our prints, I'd be complaining everyday.

Are you using the low gloss toner for the 1000? Everyone on here mentions that it is only available on Australia and New Zealand, so I'm wondering if that is the root of your problem, and why Xerox refuses to let us US companies use it.

Well, perhaps it is due to the fact that they are in the southern hemisphere? I've heard weird things happen with gravity and particle physics once you go below the equator. Also, if the machine was engineered on top of Mt. Fuji, I could see how that could cause issues once it is brought back to sea level. Just a guess.

Or it could be the matte toner..

Made some huge improvements today when messing around on the machine with the tech. Was having this problem showing up on heavy coverage on some 13x19 14pt gloss stock. We messed around and ended up taking out the heavyweight baffle in the 1st BTR (i believe thats where it is). Ran a few more and while it was not completely gone, it produced quality that i would not hesitate to sell. Honestly, all but your most critical customers wouldn't even notice. The baffle is simple to remove, and if you leave the covers off, it will take about 1 minute to remove and take care of the trail edge bleed. Hopefully this helps you guys having this problem if you haven't already found this out.

I thought the heavyweight baffle replaced the baffle at the bottom apex of the ibt belt right before the 2nd btb? That baffle makes a curved mark at the tail of the sheet on heavyweight stocks if you have image there. Haven't really noticed it making the tail edge blurry. I thought the point of the heavyweight baffle was to eliminate that mark? I'm really interested to know what the heavyweight baffle looks like. Any way you could post a pic of it?

I thought the heavyweight baffle replaced the baffle at the bottom apex of the ibt belt right before the 2nd btb? That baffle makes a curved mark at the tail of the sheet on heavyweight stocks if you have image there. Haven't really noticed it making the tail edge blurry. I thought the point of the heavyweight baffle was to eliminate that mark? I'm really interested to know what the heavyweight baffle looks like. Any way you could post a pic of it?

Your correct on where it is. I was mistaken on that. But it is what is creating the curved mark on the sheet. We just ran the stock without a baffle at all and it was the best print. Didn't jam either. I'll post up a picture tomorrow if I have time. Removal is simple.

That's cool. I am interested in seeing the baffle because we do run short sheets and have the problem with the mark. When we take the baffle off though we have issues with toner waste streaks showing up on the sheet. I think the baffle keeps the sheet from rubbing the ibt before transfer is supposed to occur. We are not on contract so they won't just send us the baffle. But they won't show us what it looks like before we buy it either. We actually do get the trail edge problem you are getting. The only way to stop it that I'm aware of is to adjust the bias transfer in the advanced stock properties. If we're running toner out near the tail we usually have to set it up around 130.

That's cool. I am interested in seeing the baffle because we do run short sheets and have the problem with the mark. When we take the baffle off though we have issues with toner waste streaks showing up on the sheet. I think the baffle keeps the sheet from rubbing the ibt before transfer is supposed to occur. We are not on contract so they won't just send us the baffle. But they won't show us what it looks like before we buy it either. We actually do get the trail edge problem you are getting. The only way to stop it that I'm aware of is to adjust the bias transfer in the advanced stock properties. If we're running toner out near the tail we usually have to set it up around 130.

sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but here are some pictures of the baffle to help you out with it. And also i thought i should mention, the one we have installed in the heavyweight baffle.

Attachments

• doors open.jpg
    doors open.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 208
  • underneath 2.jpg
    underneath 2.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 209
  • tray slid out.jpg
    tray slid out.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 215
  • underneath 1.jpg
    underneath 1.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 199
Thanks for the photos.... very helpful. I don't see a difference in that baffle from the standard baffle. I do see that you have a piece that holds the belt edge down ahead of the baffle. I don't have that on either of my machines. Is that part of the baffle kit? Is there anything else that might be part of the kit? Or is it just the baffle?

Thanks for the photos.... very helpful. I don't see a difference in that baffle from the standard baffle. I do see that you have a piece that holds the belt edge down ahead of the baffle. I don't have that on either of my machines. Is that part of the baffle kit? Is there anything else that might be part of the kit? Or is it just the baffle?

As far as I know there is just the baffle that is part of that kit. Mine could be a little different than yours because I have the 1000i. But the only thing the tech and I messed with was the baffle in the pictures. And made a night and day difference really.

OK.... really appreciate your insights. I definitely need to try one out. If anybody has a heavyweight baffle kit they'd like to sell, let me know.

Hi everyone,

We're still battling through this problem with 1000i, Versant and now our old 800.

As you'll remember multiple print samples went to Japan and we've just heard they came back with "it's no problem every toner based digital press does it".
After an ultimatum Fuji Xerox came to us last week with the conclusion that it's a Fiery issue and will try and find our old Creo for 800 and replace the RIP on 2100 with a GX Server (made by Fuji Xerox Japan I believe) which has an option for Edge Density Adjustment - so it's not an issue but they've built an option into their own RIP to fix.

At this stage assuming the 800 goes back to what it was before all this and the 2100 starts printing at an acceptable quality we'll be getting rid of our 1000i - which sucks.
This will leave us with a 6 year old 800 but leaves us open to explore new technologies as they come out.

I wanted it so badly to work as the first install in New Zealand (I think) we would've had a huge advantage with print and direct mail but now with dozens in our city that's gone.
Just can't believe we're the only ones screaming about it...

The impact this has had on my business is massive as we've lost faith in our ability to produce an amazing product. Jobs are setup and proofed on all 3 machines and we pick the least rubbish one or making adjustments to clients art to make it better . We've never had to do that in the past other than the occasional rich black conversion. We genuinely believed we were producing the best work in town.

It's funny we went from being 100% a Fuji Xerox shop where provided the numbers stacked up they could've sold us on anything to now accepting that we could take a risk with any other manufacturer and be no worse than we are now.

Anyway sorry for the rant it's just frustrating.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back