Synthetics on Xerox 700, C75/J75, Versant 2100 and Versant 80

PricelineNegotiator

Greetings,

So we recently purchased a Xerox J75 and are very satisfied. I have been trying to get this machine to run some synthetic stock but have been mostly unlucky. Lots of print quality issues - the front side looks good, but the back/second side printed contains marks/dings in full coverage images and overall "washed out". All of my hardware on the machine is fine, the stock just doesn't seem to want to run right. Does anyone have some voodoo they do to their Xerox to make this stock run consistently? Maybe some criteria I want answered:

Certain image transfer settings?
Standard vs productivity mode?
Loading it as coated, uncoated, or some crazy setting?
Different settings for different stock thicknesses?
Are certain thicknesses not able to be run on these machines?
Manual duplexing to help second side?
Brand superiority? Mohawk has Premium Polyester and PVC.

Also, aside from running this stock on a digital press, do you need special ink to run it on a conventional single or two color press like a Ryobi 3302? Cutting the stock is easy, but how do you hole drill a pile of the stock without it all sticking together? How are you pricing a stock that costs so much?

Any help would be appreciated.

We print a fair amount of synthetics, mostly 11 and 14mil Thermanent. I have the pricing in my estimating software and it does it's thing with it. It is NOT a cheap product, but it is impressive with its durability. Drilling it is a PITA, as the entire lift will fuse together and you have to spin them to get them apart. If you have a Full Width Array on the Versant you should be able to create a custom stock with it. Just be prepared to eat some of that expensive paper! I would assume any oil base ink would work on a press, just dab some on a scrap piece to see how it dries.

We had a similar experience with Xerox NeverTear 270 micron and our Xerox 700. Our 1st side out was washed. 2nd side out was fine. Running the stock through as either 90 gsm uncoated, or 170 uncoated gave better results. This was because the 2nd BTR was dropping voltage in-between sheets when it thought it was running 300 GSM.

Apparently, non xerox synthetic stock works better. The only stock that the J75/700 are designed to print is 120 micron NeverTear. All other weights are only rated for Xerox 1000 Press. I have ran some tests and Xerxox NeverTear 190 micron ran much better than the 270.

Hope this helps.
Dave

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back