Cost difference between the KM IC-602 embedded RIP and the external Fiery IC-306?

bobdow

We are at the end of of our lease term and picked a new machine, BizHub Press C1060, I've seen test prints using both RIPs (both very good)... we decided to stick with the external Fiery and Command Work Station because of our years of experience and lack of (so-far) of Mac management software for the IC-602.

Our C1060 showed up on delivery day without an external controller and I got the song and dance routine about how it's an Apples to Apples comparison... and there may be Mac management software showing up any day now.

This didn't smell right to me for many reasons but they had already hauled away my old color copier so I agreed to kick the tires on this version for a week.

I would actually consider it as a viable option if it was a less expensive, but it's the exact same lease price!

​I have found several posts about the IC-602 being an "affordable alternative" to Fiery Controller but have found zero price info. I've tried out of area sales reps, they won't touch the question as obviously it peels back the veil on this car salesman world. Calls to Konica Minolta corporate have so far only resulted in referrals back to local reps who don't want to talk to me because I'm not a customer.

Can someone please enlighten me with a straight answer? I know the feature differences, I just want a ballpark cost difference. Thank you!

System Version / Operating System Konica Minolta 2.0 / TimeSys Linux 6.1 Processor / Memory / Hard Disk Intel® Core i5 2400 3.1 GHz (C1070/C1070P); Intel® Pentium G850 2.8 GHz (C1060) / 4 GB (IC-602A); 8 GB (IC-602B) / 500 GB x 3 (IC-602B) Engine I/F Serial 768 kbps, C1070 Series Video Clock (Print): 56.135 MHz Page Description Language / PDF Support Adobe® PostScript®, CPSI 3019, TIFF, PCL5c/6, XPS / PDF v1.7, PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3 Variable Data Handling PPML 2.2 Font Support Adobe Roman: 136 fonts, PCL: 81 fonts OS Support (for IC-602) PS Plug-in: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012; Mac OSX 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 PS PPD: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012; Linux CUPS Applications PageScope Direct Print, PageScope EMS Plug-in, PageScope Web Connection, PageScope Account Manager, PageScope Net Care Device Manager, Net Backup Tool, Font Management Utility, Print Status Notifier, Print Utility for UNIX, Job Centro (Job Control/Editing Utility), Color Centro (Color Management Utility), Printgroove POD Queue Power Supply 100-240V, 50-60Hz

• IC-308 EXTERNAL FIERY IMAGE CONTROLLER (OPTIONAL) Operating System / Processor / Memory Windows 7 Professional 64-bit / Intel® Coreâ„¢ i5 2400 3.1 GHz Processor (up to 3.4 GHz with Turbo Boost / 4 GB RAM Hard Disk Drive / DVD Drive 1 TB HDD / Internal DVD-RW Drive Software Fiery System FS100 Pro Networking Connectivity Simultaneous Auto Switching Protocols, EtherTalk II, TCP/IP, Novell IPX iPrint, LDAP Support (Exchange, Novell, Domino, LDAPv3/RFC2251, Email Address Access and Authentication, User Password Validation, Certificate Management (SSL/TLS, X509 Standard), IP Sec Support, IPv6 Support File Format Support Adobe® PostScript®, Adobe PDF 1.5 to 1.7 (Adobe Acrobat® 6 to 9), PDF/X-1a, 3 and 4, Encapsulated PostScript (EPS), MS Office (DOC, XLS, PPT, PUB (via Hot Folders) • Optional File Format Support JPEG, DCS 2.0, CT/LW, 1-bit TIFF, TIFF, TIFF/IT, PDF2Go SNMP Printing Support Bonjour, SMB (peer-to-peer), LPD Performance Features Fiery Smart RIP, RIP-While-Print, RIP 1-While-Print 2, Fiery RIPChipsâ„¢, EFI Video Interface Card, ECT Compression (for flexible compression ratios and visually lossless image quality) Fiery Utilities Fiery Bridge 1.2, Fiery Command WorkStation 5, Fiery Driver, Fiery Graphic Arts Package, Fiery Hot Folders, Fiery Remote Scan, Fiery WebToolsâ„¢, Fiery Workflow (Central, JDF), Spot-On • Fiery Options Fiery SeeQuence Suite (Fiery SeeQuence Impose, Fiery SeeQuence Compose, Fiery SeeQuence Preview), Fiery Graphic Arts Package (Premium Edition), ES-2000 Spectrophotometer, Fiery Color Profiler Suite, Removable Hard Disk Drive, Fiery Integrated Workstation: Fiery Stand, GUI Kit (19” Display, Keyboard, Mouse) • Optional Variable Data Handling FreeFormâ„¢ 2, PPML 2.2 (PODi certified), Creo VPS Compatible, Optimized PostScript® and Optimized PDF Power Supply / Dimensions (W x H x D) 100-240 VAC @ 50-60 Hz, 6A @ 100 VAC, 3A @ 240 VAC / 19.2” x 8.4” x 14”

I know the tech specs are different, I want to know the cost to customer differences.

The current onboard RIP IC-602 is the replacement for the IC-601 which is readily available used for under $75 the same generation of Fiery controller for the earlier version of the C1060 still sells for over $4K. I can't find any pricing info on the IC-602. none of the Konica Minolta guys want to throw their comrade under the bus. I'm signing a 3 year lease and nobody can answer my question.

Here ya go...

IC-602 internal controller base list, $13k
IC-308 external controller base list, $30k

Nobody sells at list...but you get the picture.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back