PDF Editors

I apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum, but it wasn't obvious to me where to post this...

Does anybody here know anything about PDF editors? I am trying desperately to find a way to resize a bunch of PDF files from 8.5 x 5.5 to 8.5 x 11. With help, I was able to find some free software that will do this, but it isn't quite enough for my purpose. What I end up with is an 8.5 x 11 PDF with margins that are 1.25 inches on each side. I need more content and less margin, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. It won't be long before I absolutely need to have this capability to do my job. Any ideas?

Just a thought... If it is something to just get them to print larger (client or any editing could be done on the original smaller size), I would take them into photoshop. You can set the scale factor and color mode as it is opening the file, then resave it back as a PDF, and wa-la, you are ready to print. We do this with a bunch of sports programs, where the client can't seem to get all of the ads as B&W, and it removes all of the font issues for missing or corruption. That is what I would do. You might be able to set up a batch action, but for some reason, I think it is a huge pain due to some extra windows popping up.
Good luck

Re: Pitstop Professional -- I'll take a look, thanks. Do you know if they offer a trial version? My employers won't spend a dime unless I can prove that it will absolutely do what we need (and maybe not even then...).

Re: Photoshop -- I was just browsing the web and came across that as an option. But I don't have it here. I need to see if I could get a trial version to make sure it will work before I spend any money.

Last edited:
It turns out we have PitStop already installed, though it looks to be a very bare-bones version. It's called PitStop Global Change. Is that what you referred to, or is it different? This version does seem to have the capability to scale the images on a PDF, but I can't seem to find a way to physically increase the page size.

So, what I've tried so far is to resize the page using a different program, then resize the images using PitStop. But the scaling is way off, and the image does not center even though I select that as an option.

I would avoid Photoshop and link/place PDF files into InDesign or even Illustrator for rescaling and exporting to a new PDF.

Global changes are one component of PitStop Pro, there are others.

I would also recommend PitStop Pro, although there are other options.

What professional graphics software do you have?

Stephen Marsh

If you have a page layout app (Adobe Indesign, Quack Depress, Apple Pages, Microsloth Publisher, etc....) Place the page in one of these, resize the placed art, save as PDF.
If you are looking to alter content/positioning of objects on the page, then you will need something like Pitstop, or Adobe Illustrator.....)

The files I've described were created with Quark, by a graphic designer who's since been laid off. We no longer have access to the original files, nor the knowledge to use that software, hence my dilemma. I'm going to look further into PitStop pro. It seems like a strong possibility.

Consider InFix - $150. (free trial) Windows or Mac http://www.iceni.com
Can enlarge page size along with the content. Does not require that you have the fonts on your system - nice!

I like this product for simple office document to PDF use, however for a robust graphic arts tool I would use PitStop Pro. Take care with InFix as it may or may not be suitable for all content. YMMV depending on the source PDF, InFix is not consistent in it’s ability to flawlessly handle “complex” files.

Stephen Marsh

Just a thought... If it is something to just get them to print larger (client or any editing could be done on the original smaller size), I would take them into photoshop. You can set the scale factor and color mode as it is opening the file, then resave it back as a PDF, and wa-la, you are ready to print. We do this with a bunch of sports programs, where the client can't seem to get all of the ads as B&W, and it removes all of the font issues for missing or corruption. That is what I would do. You might be able to set up a batch action, but for some reason, I think it is a huge pain due to some extra windows popping up.
Good luck

You do know that it's "voila!" right? not wa-la!. LOL I'm just teasing you tho...no offense meant. ;)

Try this.
Open the PDF in Acrobat. Go to the Document menu, Crop Pages. There is (should be) an option to Change Page Size using either pre-sets (Letter etc..) or Custom. Worth a shot?
PS - I was using Acrobat 9. In Acrobat 10/11 it's in Tools, Print Production, Set Page Boxes. You can only increase the page size, not decrease.

Last edited:
Print your pdf to another pdf if you have that capability (or a hot folder). Choose letter paper as your page size, but print at a %, say 120%. It will enlarge and center the art on the 8.5 x 11 and may be faster than placing it in InDesign, enlarging each page manually and then creating a new pdf.

Have you looked at PDF 2 DTP? This is an InDesign / Quark Plug in for excatly this situation. Your master document is gone and all you have is the PDF left and you want to rework it.

It's from Markzware. There is no trial but if you contact their support team and ask nicely they will convert a page or two of your PDF to InDesign / Quark so you can decide for yourself.

I've also seen the occasional older version for sale on ebay.

http://markzware.com/products/pdf2dtp/

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back