Difference between Production Printer and Office Copier?

Question: Do you have any experience with Canon bringing in used inventory? Does Canon corporate sell used direct to end users? Or do they sell to 3rd party brokers who then sell to end users? Just curious what the process is.

They sell to end users through their "Canon Solutions America" division.

I've done dollar buyouts and also FMV and honestly I don't see much difference between the two. The reason for my statement is that no matter what, you're beholden to the manufacturer/reseller for service. If you get a machine with a dollar buy out and they decide they don't want to service it anymore, guess what you get to do? Yep. Buy a new machine.

By the end of your lease your machine will be 5+ years old. You think you'll have an easy time finding service/parts for that? You think you'll get service without a service contract for the same price as your click cost now? Dream on. These machines aren't like my Kluge letterpress that only requires oil to keep happy. CONSTANT service and parts. It's ridiculous.

Here's my situation... I have to convince the money man that going into the production world is worth the much larger expense. He feels that he has yet to hear any argument that applies to our situation about why Production is the smart decision for us.

I have yet to get any kind of answer that I feel deems researching further. Here is what I have collected so far:

* Paper Stock Capabilities
* Build Quality
* Finishing Attachment Options
* Color Control/Consistency

and here are the reasons they either don't or might not apply to us

1) Paper Stock Capabilities -- We use 20lb bond and 65lb cover 99% of the time. We can outsource anything that won't run on whatever we end up with.

2) Build Quality -- We have had an aging office grade BW Canon that we bought used about 8 years ago which has proved to be EXTREMELY reliable. Way beyond our expectations. More than a decade later is the color office grade production world built that much less reliably than the BW office grade world was a decade ago?

3) Finishing Attachment Options -- We don't need any finishing attachments

4) Color Control/Consistency -- I believe that this is the big wild card. My gut says this doesn't matter for our scenario but obviously this is subjective and probably on a long sliding scale. I need the blue sky to look blue (not green) and big gray solids to look gray. I don't want to deal with splotchiness or unevenness. The idea of the first print looking identical to the 2000th print sounds nice and would be convenient but again, that's subjective. How bad is the kind of problem at the office level really?

So I'm still trying to collect information. Happy to do research on my own if anyone knows of studies, documents or anything else out there on this subject. Thanks.

For sure b/w machines are a lot simpler. 1 toner, 1 drum, 1 developer, smaller transfer belt, less 'stuff' to go wrong....

Océ (owned by Canon) makes some really nice, simple black and white machines. Perhaps that's worth a look?

If you don't anticipate growth in your color volume, then maybe I'd continue to outsource it. At only 2500 impressions per month... that's not a lot.

If you really want to bring color in house, this could do it: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/production/products/cut_sheet/color_digital_presses/imagepress_c60

Currently we are paying about $19k/year outsourcing color which seems pretty close to the break even point on bringing all of that color work in house but I don't think it's necessarily a home run.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back