WestRock Carolina Digital C2S Paper

Shawnd

We have been using International Paper's Carolina Digital C2S for years with no issues, just got into the new WestRock branded Carolina paper and we are having jams out the wazoo. Wanted to see if others are noticing the same thing on your digital presses.

Have not had any jams with it on our Versant 2100, but have only printed about 1 box of the stuff (12x18). It is a lot yellower then Carolina we used to get, not sure why they changed is so much.

I am trying to figure out if what we are getting now is Tango C2S rebranded as Carolina. The specs are the same on Westrocks website for both Tango and Carolina.

We knew the brightness was not the same going into it, but we were told the paper is the same, it isn't. The IP version of Carolina is thicker/glossier/whiter.

So glad someone posted about this!!!!! We have used Carolina for ages and this last batch was terrible. You are right!!!! It is tango rebranded!!! It's terrible!!!! It curls! It jams! The printer hates, the UV coater hates it, the perfect binder hates it, and I hate it!!!!!!!!!!! It not Carolina!!!!
What do we use now? Any suggestions?

You guys seem to be ripping on Tango pretty hard. I've yet to have a problem with it. I run the cheapest stuff I can get my dirty paws on and haven't got a paper yet that I can't use.

We buy Tango and recently got a bad batch. Jam jam jam in our Xerox 800! They sent a mill tech to our shop and he said that digital stock should only be sheeted from the center positions of their rolls. Some of the pallets they sent included paper from the outside positions which naturally have more "twist curl" and should not be classified as digital. I THINK that the last letter in the product code denotes the roll position. As I remember if it's an "A" or "B" it's a center position and if it's a "C" or "D" it's an edge position. You would have to confirm with a mill rep though. We found that when we ran the "A" or "B" stock that we had no jamming.

We use Tango on our Versant 2100, no issues at all. Of course, the 2100 is rated for auto-duplexing of 350 gsm. Don't know what equipment the OP is using

We had the Ricoh tech come by this morning and he had to fiddle with the paper catalog settings and some of the vacuum feed settings, this paper is way different from the original Carolina.

Since he has done that we have not had anymore jams, we have run about 10,000 13x19 sheets duplexed through the 2 machines so far, wanted to wait to see how it ran this afternoon before replying to the topic, hopefully it keeps running. Still not crazy about the brightness change and the paper is more matte than original.

We had the Ricoh tech come by this morning and he had to fiddle with the paper catalog settings and some of the vacuum feed settings, this paper is way different from the original Carolina.

Since he has done that we have not had anymore jams, we have run about 10,000 13x19 sheets duplexed through the 2 machines so far, wanted to wait to see how it ran this afternoon before replying to the topic, hopefully it keeps running. Still not crazy about the brightness change and the paper is more matte than original.

That is our issue with it, it is very different then the original Carolina stock we purchased. They should have called it something else as it is a very different stock. We will be shopping around to see if we can find something that is similar to the "old" Carolina stock we used to order.

Had no jamming in our 2100, its run just as stable as before.

The new paper is still going good through the machines, we have run over 20,000 sheets through the 2 7110's with 2 minor jams and that that was probably from a bent sheet.

We run 10pt C2S for a lot of our stuff, I am wondering if I will have to go up to 12pt to get the thickness of the old IP 10pt Carolina back.

We have tried many other brands and always came back to Carolina, it traveled well through the mail stream, but people have been using Tango for postcards for many years as well.

has anyone found a replacement stock that is more similar to the old Carolina coated stock?

No, and I don't think you will find a replacement that's reasonably priced. We used Carolina exclusively for board stock on both digital and litho presses because the white point was great and the manufacture was more consistent than other brands. Carolina was twice the sheet that Tango ever wanted to be. So sorry to see it go away.

We are going to use Productolith instead of "Carolina". It is not as white as the old Carolina and cracks more easily but at least it lies flat and runs through the printer easily and the price isn't much higher. RIP Carolina.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back