Well we took the plunge our first digital printer

maac

Well we took the plunge. We picked up our first digital printer. It is the (OKI C931DP) it will be here in 2 weeks and it has the envelope feeder. The reason why we picked up this printer is for the small runs that we outsource. The quantities are less then 2000 and we run the SM-52 anicolor for mid-sides runs and the Heidelberg 74 for the rest.

So the question I have for you is how do you like the color on this printer and can you put in place a color profile.

Thanks
Michael

Last edited:
Please don't take this personal, but why would someone get a cheap $20,000.00 Oki to run what needs to be of the same quality as your Heidelberg's? That's what gives us digital printers a bad rap. Offset printers make broad statements that all digital work is low quality, low budget because they buy an office printer and call it a "digital press" and can't get the quality they need. Therefore it is safe to assume that all digital printers are the same. Which would be like saying all offset printing is like a Multi 1250.

That being said, did you buy the optional RIP? If so you should be able to do profiles from that.

Yes we are getting the optional RIP. I did not say "digital press" I called it what it is just a (digital printer). The Heidelberg-74 we have 2 of them and they run quantities from 5,000 up to 500,000 or so. 4/4 col 150lpi 175lpi 200lpi. And the Heidelberg SM-52 anicolor this is an amazing press and takes care of the small quantities of 1000 to 5000 4/col. And the Ryobi for the 1 or 2 /col work. As you may or may not know it does not pay us to start up the anicolor for small 4/col runs so we like I said we (outsource) to a digital printing Company to take care of our customers who have that small print job they need. We brought the (digital printer) not a press. for that reason. Does that clear that up.

Last edited:
I would hold off a little. I hear Canon is supposed to announce their new wide format printers next week. Might want to look at the replacement for the iPF6450.

Canons are to most color consistent inkjet printers I have ever run.

thanks for that update on the Canon but the (OKI C931DP) will be here next week.

So the question I have for you is how do you like the color on printer and can you put in place a color profile.
ThanksMichael

I guess I'm confused on the original post. Why would you buy something, and THEN ask about it's color quality and profile capabilities? It appears to be a moot point, since you take delivery on the OKI next week.

We have no issues with color on our 931e, if you have the RIP the profiles should be easy to set. We use it 100% to print envelopes.

We have no issues with color on our 931e, if you have the RIP the profiles should be easy to set. We use it 100% to print envelopes.

Thank you for that this is good to know. All I was asking is this your insight will help.

This is almost like the Republican debates the moderators ask a little question and it is hard to just get a simple answer.

I guess I'm confused on the original post. Why would you buy something, and THEN ask about it's color quality and profile capabilities? It appears to be a moot point, since you take delivery on the OKI next week.

The upper management decided to buy this OKI at the Miami show. And I'm the prepress operator that they decided will run it. So I would like to know what you who are in the business know about it.

The upper management decided to buy this OKI at the Miami show. And I'm the prepress operator that they decided will run it. So I would like to know what you who are in the business know about it.

Yep, sometimes things like that happen. Expecially at a show, where ALL equipment runs flawlessly and beautifully, regardless of the manufacturer. You can't really tell about it's true capabilities until you get it in a production environment. Don't know much about the OKI's, (we use real digital presses - two Xerox Versant 2100's, and a KM Pro 1250), except that it is (or, used to be) the main component of the Xante envelope printer line, so, it should do what you ask of it.

Yep, sometimes things like that happen. Expecially at a show, where ALL equipment runs flawlessly and beautifully, regardless of the manufacturer. You can't really tell about it's true capabilities until you get it in a production environment. Don't know much about the OKI's, (we use real digital presses - two Xerox Versant 2100's, and a KM Pro 1250), except that it is (or, used to be) the main component of the Xante envelope printer line, so, it should do what you ask of it.

Thanks you are the best this is what I need to know.

Last edited:
Yes we are getting the optional RIP. I did not say "digital press" I called it what it is just a (digital printer). The Heidelberg-74 we have 2 of them and they run quantities from 5,000 up to 500,000 or so. 4/4 col 150lpi 175lpi 200lpi. And the Heidelberg SM-52 anicolor this is an amazing press and takes care of the small quantities of 1000 to 5000 4/col. And the Ryobi for the 1 or 2 /col work. As you may or may not know it does not pay us to start up the anicolor for small 4/col runs so we like I said we (outsource) to a digital printing Company to take care of our customers who have that small print job they need. We brought the (digital printer) not a press. for that reason. Does that clear that up.

Sorry you missed my point. I assume you intend to keep the quality levels even across the board, whether it is offset or digital. If that is the case then you are doing yourself an injustice with a printer not capable of such. After you realize this, you will more than likely bad mouth digital printing as a whole like every other offset shop which does the same.

This is not an insult to you or your company, just an observation from a person who has had to battle that stigma.

Now I understand were you are coming from. It sounds like you and your Company has a lot of experience with offset printing and digital printers not us. And has gone through the pitfalls of this offset or digital quagmire. So I should not comment on what I do not yet understand.

Most of our printing needs will print in our pressroom and a very very small part of our work will be from the (OKI C931DP) printer. This is the work we outsource to a digital shop. Some of our customers has asked us to print small runs under a 1,000 this will let us fill their needs and keep the customer happy and as you know that is the best way to go. And then they asked us to open a Storefront so they can just come in and place their orders. Now they login check their inventory or set up a template and we then print and ship the quantity they need. If you have some time check it out. www.cspressonline.com

Last edited:
Hey Maac, nice website!

Now I know who you guys are. We are a neighbor, and, actually do business together on occasion with some mutual clients, (think "Large Restaurant Chain" headquartered here in Mickey-Mouse Town).

Good luck with the OKI! If you have trouble running a job where the quality isn't what you need, we'll be happy to run it for you on our digital presses.

-MailGuru

Hey Maac, nice website!

Now I know who you guys are. We are a neighbor, and, actually do business together on occasion with some mutual clients, (think "Large Restaurant Chain" headquartered here in Mickey-Mouse Town).

Good luck with the OKI! If you have trouble running a job where the quality isn't what you need, we'll be happy to run it for you on our digital presses.

-MailGuru

You are the best thankyou.

Hay maac !! How about an update? I think you've had the Oki for about 2 months now. Just checking in to see how it is going. Do you like it?

Hay maac !! How about an update? I think you've had the Oki for about 2 months now. Just checking in to see how it is going. Do you like it?

Hi MailGure Still a lot to learn it is just for the little jobs we do

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back