Loaded Versant 80 or Versant 2100?

gregbatch

It's getting near upgrade time and we need to upgrade from a J75. When you break it down to the monthly, it's looking more like once you get an 80 and load it with the performance package, advanced high capacity feeder, etc., you might as well spend the extra dollars on the 2100 and reap the performance and other benefits. I know it's a jump from the 75, but were seriously expecting to be all digital (or very near) within a couple of years, so we need something with the duty cycle to handle the load too. Thoughts? Is there a better machine for the money?

What kind of volume are you doing? We have a Versant 80 without the performance package and are doing about 150k per month. The 80 is a major upgrade from the 75 series. We have had no developer issue like we did on the C75. I have run approx 325k since the last service call and still do not have any banding or streaks. With the C75 we were used to service calls every 50-100k.

You will need the 2100. You need the full width array to keep your alignment right. With an 80 you will waste too much time fighting with alignment. We do 150-350k per month and have 2 2100's. A couple tips on configurations. Don't waste your money on the standard staple finisher or booklet finisher. We have one on one of our machines and never use it. Just get high capacity stackers and spend the saved money on extra carts.

The performance kit adds that to the 80, but it's not cheap. We love the square back finisher with face trim in our D136. Our customers love it too. We do lots of book work so that will be a must.

If you plan on going all digital, I would go 2100. If you do that volume on an 80 month in and month out you will kill it. Agree with jrsc, the only finisher you need is a stacker, go offline for everything else. The FWA will save you so much time with FTB registration, it's insane not to get it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back