pre-printed stock issues in Versant 2100?

wonderings

We had a problem with a job we were imprinting on. The stock is a 14pt Carolina coated 2 side. We could never get the colour or shine that customer wants on our Versant 2100 so we did what we have done in the past, printed shells on press and imprint the black text digitally.

So the problem came up a few days ago when running a job, we were getting black streaks, small, almost like brush strokes, on the job. I tried cleaning anything I could and even replaced the colour drums to rule those out. Problem persisted so I called in service. I was told the problem was being caused by this pre printed stock running through our Versant.

We don't do this a whole lot, usually little jobs that equal a press run off about 15 sheets or so. The part in question was replaced in March for another reason (new parts upgrade). So really since March I would say we have run less the 100 sheets of pre printed stock through our machine. I am being told that these pre printed sheets are causing the problem. We use the least amount of powder we can on the press when running these shells (Komori Spica 29P). I am not against the premise that these are the problem, it just seems strange that so few sheets could cause such a problem, especially since we have been doing this for a long time on various machines, DC260, J75 and now Versant 2100.

Would love to hear thoughts from people doing similar. Have you had any issues running pre printed media through your Versant 2100 or like machine?

After printing on press, and, before imprinting on V2100, are you doing some sort of UV or Aqueous Coat?

We've never run pre-printed stock through our V2100, but, knowing the technology behind the V2100's operation, I can see where it might present a myriad of problems.

(1) Is the stock you are using (14-Pt Carolina C2S) a digital stock, or, an offset stock. Offset stock contains paper impurities (little minute specs of paper/paper dust) that don't impact an offset press, but, wreaks havoc on a digital press.
(2) Some offset printed colors (such as Reflex Blue, for example) tend to gum-up the insides of digital printers.
(3) The drying powder that you are using could not only interfere with neg/pos charges of the toner, but, can also cake on your feeder and fuser belts as well as your transfer coronas (cortrons).

We run a whole lot of "Shells" on many kind of stocks ranging from card stock both coated and uncoated .. . to wine labels on estate label - never noticed that problem . . . running a Xerox 770

We run an enormous amount of pre-printed shells on an Imagepress 6010 and it's never been an issue.
Xerox, in my experience, is notorious for blaming stock instead of solving issues. Contact your sales or someone higher up and get a direct answer and then take that to the tech until they figure it out.

Thanks for the all the replies. I would have to check on the stock, but I am pretty sure it was digital stock. Have to correct myself, it is not a 14pt stock, but a 16pt. Still well within the weight limits of the Versant 2100.

I am setting up a meeting with the service manager and hopefully the guy above him to discuss this. We we're denied any credit for this job till we talked with the manager as they are saying it is the pre printed stock causing the issue.

I do get that the papers could be dirty and cause issue, but would it really happen this quick? The part he had to replace was replaced in March of this year as I mentioned above. We have imprinted on pre printed shells less then 100 sheets since then. Seems odd that it would go down that quick with so few sheets, especially since we have been doing this in the past as well on previous machines, and if that was the case we would be having service in regularly and replacing the same part on a regular basis.

Just for giggles, try running the sheets through the press without printing but with impression on to see if you can pull any additional powder off the sheet with the blanket. Curious to see if that helps. to me it almost looks like a drum issue. Have you printed any "non offset" sheets of the same stock with the same file?

Have you tried swapping out the drums?

Have you checked your belt cleaner assembly?

Have you tried swapping out the drums?

Have you checked your belt cleaner assembly?

I did swap out the drums, that was one of the first things I did after running the "clean fuser assembly" on the 2100. There was junk built up on a roller that he showed me, not sure if it was from this job or not, though doubting it was. Service tried scrapping it off but damaged the roller in the process so we had to get a new one in next day. We have a meeting with Xerox this week to discuss this and the lack of credits they are giving for paper damaged in the machine.

Looks like the cleaning blade (cleaning assembly) needs to be replaced. Also try turning up the transfer on the paper. The humidity might be affecting it.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back