Fusion Pro and intelligent barcode

xcelprint

Recently started looking into intelligent barcode for usps mailings. We have been using fusion pro for variable data addressing as we print the job on our versant 80. How do I incorporate intelligent bar codes with fusion pro and the usps IMsb tool? As I read the IMsb user guide it says I can print barcodes on envelopes, labels, but I want to print them at the same time my job is printing. What am I missing?
Thanks.

It looks like on page 22 of the user guide it shows you how to save the list as a csv or excel file with the intelligent mail barcode added to your list. Then when you put it in your address block in fusion pro, you just need to use one of the USPSIMB fonts.

It looks like on page 22 of the user guide it shows you how to save the list as a csv or excel file with the intelligent mail barcode added to your list. Then when you put it in your address block in fusion pro, you just need to use one of the USPSIMB fonts.

Your instructions make it sound too simple. I will try that today. Thank you, I believe I have been staring at it too long! Appreciate your help.

In the Intelligent Mail Barcode Rule there is a screen for selecting values.
Tracking Number field
Routing number field
Font size
Tracking size
Pick a font...
Map the 4 characters ...

I would appreciate any insight on this. I do not know what to choose on this screen.
Thanks.

Technically, you can't use the USPS' IMsb tool because it was designed for businesses that do their own mailing. You're supposed to specify the mail owner whenever you do a mailing for a customer and there is no where to do that in the IMsb tool. For small mailings, you can get away with claiming ownership so you could use that tool. But when you try to do a nonprofit mailer, you won't be able to because you have to specify the mail owner so you can get the discount. We've been using FusionPro for about 8 years now. The info you need to print the IM barcode should be in a column in a CSV file that is generated with your presort software. I assume you are not using presort software since you are using the IMsb tool. For that, I would recommend Postage Saver, BM-Win Plus, or EZ24x7. All three are very inexpensive. No need to use any of FusionPro's IM barcode rules, just make sure you got the right barcode font. Postage Saver supplies it with their software. When you are putting the variable data into the text block in FusionPro, you would select the barcode column in the CSV file just like any other test with the exception that you would change the font (and make sure it meets height requirements). Feel free to PM me or call if you want me to walk you through anything but I will be leaving early today and closed Monday.

Thanks Keith... I wonder why the usps clerk would recommend I use the IMsb tool? He knows I do many non profit mail jobs...
Also, you are correct that I do not use a presort software. Do I understand you to say that the barcode info would be in a column of the excel spreadsheet just like the other info (names, addresses, etc)?
Thanks.

So after reading these posts again...
1. Postage Saver would sort my list and add a column for barcoding.
2. Then I would select the usual columns in Fusion Pro such as name, address, city, state , zip and barcode.
3. Then compose my print file.

Is that the sequence? Thanks.

Xcelprint, you are correct. Postage Saver and the other two presort software I mentioned would create a column in your file that contains all the relevant data for the barcode. The only tricky thing you got to do is select the barcode font when you are in FusionPro and it's really not that tricky.

The only step you are missing is step 1/2 (half). Before you presort it, you'll have to send the list out for NCOA/CASS. Unless you use EZ24x7 which does NCOA/CASS in the software (it connects to an outside server) so it will save you a step and some money (it's what I use now anfter trying the other two - Postage Saver and BM-Win).

Not all postal employees are created equal. It just proves how complex the logistics are of mailing millions of pieces of mail per day. Again, I'd be glad to help some more so you can email, PM or call me.

One step you missed: In order to print the IMB in the first place, you have to have a "Mailer ID Number" or "MID". Your mailer ID number is the 3rd, out of the 5 components that make up the Intelligent Mail Bar Code. All the other components can be supplied by your sortation software, but, your assigned mailer ID will always be a constant, and, embedded in your barcode. I believe you can apply online through the Business Customer Gateway to get your MID, but, if you have problems, talk to your local Business Mail Entry Unit (BMEU) of your local USPS. They will help you.

Crap! Thanks MailGuru! You only have to get that number once so I forget that I have it once I put it into the presort software. Unless your managing Mailer IDs for other companies, which technically, I think you are supposed to do for all your customers.

Crap! Thanks MailGuru! You only have to get that number once so I forget that I have it once I put it into the presort software. Unless your managing Mailer IDs for other companies, which technically, I think you are supposed to do for all your customers.

Yeah, I know. It's easy to forget something that you only enter one time in to your presort software, and, it handles it from there for all other mailings.

Thanks guys. I have the MID. Trying to decide which presort software to go with. Appreciate your help.

Last edited:
We use BCC MailManager by Bell & Howell. It's pretty good, and, easy to use. It's not the most expensive, but, it's not the cheapest either. It's probably on the same level as Satori. I think "Melissa Data" has a very inexpensive product that will handle most presorts. I've heard of EZ24/7, but, I don't know anything about their product.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back