How We Can Enchance Knowledge

Well, there are banner ads. Only Gordo knows that info. Nevertheless, it consolidated specific industry related info into a searchable format I've never gotten from any textbook, and I appreciate it.

Well, there are banner ads. Only Gordo knows that info.

Between 2009 and 2015 it generated $50 (over a million visits across two blogs). So don't believe those Google promos where people make thousands every month with banner ads.
What upset me more was getting questions from printers (and even vendors) where I know I've saved them thousands - but they never even bothered to email a thank you.
But like I said, I didn't originally create the blog to make money.

Lets face it most printers are so tight they squeak. They look to these forums to hopefully acquire some information along with knowledge without any financial obligations. Try calling your lawyer or certified public accountant for free, not going to happen.

Why should the printing industry information and acquired knowledge be any different? Do you know of any consultants that give information for free?

If a customer is buying product, needs advice on how to properly use the product that should be free and considered part of the embedded cost.

The internet has reduced information to instant acquisition without any social ties, etiquette and virtually no cost.

Gordo it is sad to say they look at you as a free resource totally ignoring what a simple thank you means. That simple thank you conveys appreciation. A little appreciation goes a long way kinda makes a project worthwhile doing.

You are correct Green Printer, most printers are CHEAP, to the point of being ignorant. This leads to more of my specific off shoot industry, the commercial printing ink business. The printers are so ignorant they squeeze their suppliers for every penny.

And....the commercial printing ink industry follows right along. Sun Chemical, Flint Group, INX (the Big 3) and a myriad of other larger and medium sized inkers follow right along and make their primary focus of competitiveness, SELLING PRICE. Because of the wizardry of poor accounting practices by the printer, the print industry is left with a paired down, bare bones consolidated ink product (akin to one size fits all) which exponentially costs the printer from poor runnability, compromised printability and most importantly, the lack of "TRUE TECHNICAL SRVICING". Personally I have been in the ink industry long enough to undeniably understand that the era of best profitabilities were made when this type of service/customer relationship existed.

Please do not make the mistake that the cheapness and poor profit arena is or has been created by lack of printing, or less ink on paper. That would be a fallacy. Looking at history as touched upon here, printers, vendors and all that touch it must someone look at the historical facts I present here. I welcome criticism and counter opinion, but getting back to a reply I made here in this thread, it all is bred through EXPERIENCE and COMPREHENSION. And, without too much modesty, I will say I do have some sort of intelligible way. Hope Gordo and Erik might particularly be able to understand my point, free of abrasion.

D Ink Man

I have been visiting this forum from around 2009, at that time I didn't know much about printing, at that time I was washing blankets and cleaning plates for my senior pressman. I have learned a lot from these forums, specially the basic principals of printing from Gordo's blog.
As far as paying for the info, its almost impossible to join any paid forums from a country like Pakistan where a press operator on average earns between 100 to 250 $ a month.

Last edited:
I have been visiting this forum from around 2009, at that time I didn't know much about printing, at that time I was washing blankets and cleaning plates for my senior pressman. I have learned a lot from these forums, specially the basic principals of printing from Gordo's blog.
As far as paying for the info, its almost impossible to join any paid forums from a country like Pakistan where a press operator on average earns between 100 to 250 $ a month.

Even the humblest Pakistani can afford to say thank you.
But it's not just me. Even here, on these forums, people from all over ask deep questions and get answers that would be difficult or impossible to get elsewhere. But so very few of those people very say thank you, or acknowledge the help, or respond back that the advice worked for them.

Sad really.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

As far as thank you's go . . .

Gordon you one that has helped me in the past and you have posted thought provoking questions/statements - that make me go HUMMMMMM . .

Lukas Engqvist . . . your another one whose knowledge is encyclopedic and I know that you have helped make this forum what it is - your absence lately has been missed.

To all the other participants, Stephen, Dov, Possum Girl, D Ink man, Erik, Mass, ABC, Green Printer, Cornishpastythighs, etc.. . . I don't want to snub anyone because there are too many to list but this group is the finest forum I have found regarding the magic of putting ink/toner on a substrate . . . if a question is asked there is usually someone out there with an answer or a way of looking at the problem from a completely different point of view which is always helpful . . .

So in closing this is one BIG THANK YOU to all of us who regularly contribute to sharing the knowledge that we have acquired over the decades in this industry.

THANKS!

Thank you all for sharing your experience, knowledge and thoughts,
I want to know that
What is
AM half tone screen
FM half tone screen
Tools for cheeking density and color
what is the basic principle of ctp and ctf machines
like that so many small small definations and introductions.

You should google them first to gain a basic understanding of your questions . .

for instance if you google. ..

"AM halftone screening" the top return is: Halftone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
an fairly comprehensive article on conventional halftone screening, its history and uses

"FM halftone screening" the top return is: Stochastic screening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CFT is Computer To Film and CTP is Computer to Plate

etc. etc. etc. . . . not to be difficult but you need to do some research with your available resources and when you discover that there are questions that google or wiki can't help you with then come here and ask specific questions about specific issues not questions that someone could write many books about and still not address all of the permutations of your questions . . .

You should google them first to gain a basic understanding of your questions . .

for instance if you google. ..

"AM halftone screening" the top return is: Halftone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
an fairly comprehensive article on conventional halftone screening, its history and uses

"FM halftone screening" the top return is: Stochastic screening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CFT is Computer To Film and CTP is Computer to Plate

etc. etc. etc. . . . not to be difficult but you need to do some research with your available resources and when you discover that there are questions that google or wiki can't help you with then come here and ask specific questions about specific issues not questions that someone could write many books about and still not address all of the permutations of your questions . . .

Both those Wikipedia articles have problems - try looking at those topics on my blog: The Print Guide

@Rafaqat. As gordo said, visit his blog.
There is a book by Dr Helmut Kipphan HAND BOOK OF PRINT MEDIA, Try to get a copy of it.

First of all Gordo, I should definitely say thank you. I'm undoubtedly one of the people who has learned from your blog and never said anything to you. Although I assure you I'm not ungrateful. It probably doesn't do you much good that I speak reverently about you and your blog when I talk with industry people in person. And you'd be surprised how many people know exactly who I'm talking about. So I hope that, at least, means something to you.

As far as expecting things for free and not saying thank you goes - I don't think that's exclusive to printers. It's endemic to our culture. Amazon can deliver 19 out of 20 items to my house in two days for free and yet when something goes wrong with the 20th item, my wife complains. People expect perfection in everything regardless of if they're paying for it or not and become indignant at the slightest hiccup. It's unfortunate, I try not to be that way. But I think if we're honest with ourselves, we can all be that way a lot of the time.

The best thing is exchanging knowledge on forums. Here we can get lot of posts on which we can segregate the best one. The knowlege comes from Reading, Observation and experience.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back