RMAIR

Hello Print World!!!

I am currently 8 weeks in to my new job as a print estimator and absolutely loving it!!! I am set to replace my colleague who is retiring in 4 weeks time and will be working along side another estimator. After coming into the industry from a totally different back ground I am hoping that somewher out there I can find the tools or resoiurces to build my knowledge alongside my experience. This may help to shorten the gap, all be it not alot, betwwen my 8 weeks and his 40+ YEARS!!!
Any hints, tips and pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.

Run . . . run as fast as you can and don't look back. Wish somebody had told me that 15 years ago . . .

Naw, just kidding. It's nice to see somebody new to printing with a positive outlook. Good luck with your new job.

I agree, it is nice to see new people coming into our business with a positive attitude! Always be open to hear (I mean really listen) to those who work in other areas of printing you can learn a lot by just taking the time to listen... the more you learn about printing the better estimator you will be. I have, for the most part, enjoyed the last 43 years in the printing business.
Best wishes!

That's great RMAIR! Nice to have you with us! See if you can get some front-line time, meaning get some time with the folks who's work you are estimating if possible, and keep in mind that much of what we do is still rightly considered a "craft." I've enjoyed my progression and curves in the business, and one thing I can say for sure...I rarely meet anyone who one day woke up and said, "I just figured out what I'm going to do with my life. I'm going into the printing business!" I think many of us ended up here without it being a conscious choice, and we stayed for the fun and great food!

Dwight
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dwightpolglaze

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back