What is Prryolidone?

Green Printer

Registered Users
Does anybody know what Pyrrolidone is? I think it is used in inks and fountain solutions. I have not seen it on any MSDS sheets. If it is used in our industry it must less than 1% volume of the product so it doesn't have to be listed on an MSDS sheet.

Isn't pyrrolidone a decoupler. Using it at high concentration say over 40% it has the ability to turn polymers and plastics into a goo. At very low concentration say under 1% over a few months it will make most types of polymers hard and brittle and or gooie. This would help in the explanation of seals going bad in the German press fogra post.

Last edited:
Isn't pyrrolidone a decoupler. Using it at high concentration say over 40% it has the ability to turn polymers and plastics into a goo. At very low concentration say under 1% over a few months it will make almost types of polymers hard and brittle and or gooie. This would help in the explanation of seals going bad in the German press fogra post.

Sustainable very good point on the seals. I checked with our chemistry and wash supplier. They informed me that the EU REACH information is on our MSDS sheets.

EU REACH (ECHA) - Substances of Very High Concern None of the components in this product are listed.

This means that there are no EU REACH Substances of Very High Concern in the product.

I will certainly continue to buy our press rooms supplies from BestChem & Supply. Knowing that they meet EU REACH Specifications along with all of the US MSDS regulations makes me feel pretty good about our choice of suppliers.

Thank you Sustainable

Ok so not the same chemical. That is good news.
Our fountain solution has 1 OCTYL-2-PYRROIDONE Cas#2687-94-7 at less than 2%

Even if a fountain solution did have pyrroidone in it at a very low % , once the fount is mixed with water at its correct % the actual amount of pyrroidone in the system/press would be very minimal.

Although if it is in roller washes that could be cause of concern

If this is the case (which I don't doubt), what does it do to the rubber in the rollers???

Al

Al there will not be any responses to this. It is a catch 22 for both the wash supplier and the roller manufacturer. Since they both already know what it does they cannot comment.
Now lets look at it in a different way maybe they honestly don't know. If this is the case then they are ignorant of their product and cannot recommend a wash and roller compound that is compatible. Either way the printer ends up paying for wash that can eat up his rollers or buy rollers that will be eaten up by the wash.

Even if a fountain solution did have pyrroidone in it at a very low % , once the fount is mixed with water at its correct % the actual amount of pyrroidone in the system/press would be very minimal.

Lukew is this a Fogra approved fountain solution?

Lukew
Octyl or Methyl they are equally nasty and both exhibit the same reproductive troubles.

Lukew is this a Fogra approved fountain solution?

I have not been told if it is fogra approved but I think highly likely not. They do state though that "all products are formulated to meet or exceed all European Approval agencies AND all current press manufacturers specifications."

I have not been told if it is fogra approved but I think highly likely not. They do state though that "all products are formulated to meet or exceed all European Approval agencies AND all current press manufacturers specifications."

Lukew these links
Regulatory agencies and compliance requirements - Elo TouchSystems - Tyco Electronics http://europa.eu/legislation_summar...ket_for_goods/chemical_products/l21282_en.htm
http://www.reachteam.eu/
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemicals/reach/reach_intro.htm
http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2010/June/08061001.asp
will assist you with researching the European Approval Agencies.
As for the current press manufacturers specifications I would ask for the list of manufacturers and their specifications. It is good procedure to double check on specifications. Some press manufacutrers require that chemistry is within spec for warranty issues.

Last edited:

Where can you find the current press manufacturers specifications for chemistry?

When will the suppliers ever stop playing games. Many times I am ashamed to even be associated with this industry. Just about when you see hope for cleaner chemistry another item appears. There are a few bright spots in chemical suppliers and when i say a few I mean 2.

There are just way way too many associations and groups that worry about their own well being and ability to collect fees and member dues. This covers all aspects from green power, forrest management, carbon offsets, consumables, green labeling and the list is almost endless. Now some of these groups are worth their salt but they also are far and few between.
We are all human beings and if a governing body or regulatory group banded or severely limited the use of a chemical wouldn't it behove us to think that this would be beneficial to all mankind and not just the particular local or country where the restrictions are enforced.

What do you think can be done to unify many of these certifying entities into a central body that can have meaning and recognition world wide.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back