Ecologo ?

CBC's Marketplace did a report on the Ecologo:

The Toilet Paper Chase - Marketplace

What it showed, as far as I could see, was that the Ecologo was just a money making scheme. It made consumers feel good but was meaningless as far as the environment is concerned.

Best gordo

Gordo et al, The marketplace peice was focused on SFI. The EcoLogo Program, which is indeed owned by Underwriters Laboratories Environment Group, is a separate and fundamentally diffrenet program. I work with The EcoLogo Program.

I won't comment on other programs except to point out that FSC & SFI only look at forestry management. EcoLogo is a full life cycle based standard. The program is ISO 14000 audited and accredited, and has developed several standards for printing and paper industries, widely specified by government purchasers and institutions.

Our standards CCD-040: Printing Inks CCD-041/CCD-141: Lithographic Printing Services and Digital Printing Services are currently under revision and there is a public comment period. Please contact me if you would like more information. Cheers.

Gordo et al, The marketplace peice was focused on SFI. The EcoLogo Program, which is indeed owned by Underwriters Laboratories Environment Group, is a separate and fundamentally diffrenet program. I work with The EcoLogo Program.

I won't comment on other programs except to point out that FSC & SFI only look at forestry management. EcoLogo is a full life cycle based standard. The program is ISO 14000 audited and accredited, and has developed several standards for printing and paper industries, widely specified by government purchasers and institutions.

Our standards CCD-040: Printing Inks CCD-041/CCD-141: Lithographic Printing Services and Digital Printing Services are currently under revision and there is a public comment period. Please contact me if you would like more information. Cheers.

Acaldwell thank you for the clarifications.

The comment report 174 is very informative.

http://www.ecologo.org/common/assets//CCD-174_Comment_Report.pdf

This comment report contains many eye opening remarks starting with comment # 22 on page 7.

Wow!!!

I know that there are SGP committee member's that would be viewing this forum. Please perhaps they could put forth the information that would substantiate the claim they made in that comment.
There has been zero response in the SGP discussion thread from any committee members. It all seems hush hush, please don't ask about chemical useage as we haven't set guidelines for it.

Maybe they are worried about the amount of printing firms that would apply for certification if they set any strict guidelines.

Curious, At what stage do the SGP trainers or auditors, check the VOC% of chemicals & ink being used in a specific printing firm?
Also at what stage do SGP trainers or auditors work out your before and after results of VOC ton/year emissions?

To answer my own question.

level 3 certification requires printers to measure their hydrocarbon emissions if applicable.
Applicabillity is:
*Heatset lithographic systems
*Lithographic presses rated to use more than 100 litres of fountain solution a day.
*Flexograpy printing rated to use more than 100 litres of flexographic inks per day.
*gravure printing rated to use more than 100 litres of gravure inks a day
*Any other printing process that is likely to emit over 100 kg of hydrocarbon emissions per day.

So effectivly they have set zero guidlines

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back