Low Odour/ Low Migration

rking

Our company is looking at using LO/LM inks for our carton division. Has anyone had experience using these type of inks? Positive or negative?

Thanks for your input!

I have used the Sun Chemical series of LM inks and had great success. If you are switching back and forth between LMQ and regular inks you need to establish a very good wash up procedure using Low Migration wash and dont forget the fountain solution needs to be Low Migration. The ink supplier will give you a very detailed changeover procedure as to how many times you have to wash the press etc.
The AQ coating must be Low migration and that is the only area that we had issues of ink pulling off onto the coating blanket. We tried different blankets and solved the issues. Overall cannot say anything negative about the experience.

I have also used Sun Chemical both LMUV and LMQ with no issues. The only thing to remember about LMQ is it never truly dries so you must coat it with a varnish otherwise you will see rub/scuff issues.

Sun Chemicals publish a set of guidelines Low Migration Inks and Coatings | Sun Chemical which might be helpful.

Having said that we also have sites who are running successfully on Huber low migration inks so you might want to check them out.

I would agree with the previous comment that there is nothing negative about running with LM ink sets.

Im confused, why does the low migration package offered by sun chemical and huber not dry and needs to be coated?

I think its due to the low migration drying package that is in the inks. I guess to make something that is low migration certain components cannot be used and the ones that have to be substituted are the chemicals that aid in the drying/curing. They do dry just not quite as quick as non low migration inks. As most low migration inks are used in packaging, coating is used as a standard for rub resistance in the filling lines and some gloss.

Actually, you are correct and incorrect? The way the ink was designed, because of certain components in the ink that can not be used in the LM process, the coating is formulated to combine with the ink and start the drying process. From what I understand, the LM will not dry if not coated.

I think its due to the low migration drying package that is in the inks. I guess to make something that is low migration certain components cannot be used and the ones that have to be substituted are the chemicals that aid in the drying/curing. They do dry just not quite as quick as non low migration inks. As most low migration inks are used in packaging, coating is used as a standard for rub resistance in the filling lines and some gloss.

This site has info related to migration. Food Safety Authority of Ireland - Plastics Declaration of Compliance Database

This link German Authorities Chart Information Shortfall In EU Plastics Declarations

http://www.food-contact.com/news/shortfall-in-eu-plastics-declarations

is a good read and sheds some light on suppliers shortfalls of what is in your products used for packaging.

Another link help in compliance http://easydoc.fsai.ie/certificate/certificate-0c705978-1c87-47c2-aad3-5467dc959463.pdf

Take note in the additional Information Section 1 adhesives, coatings and ink should be indicated in the DOC

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see the msds of sun chemicals and hubers low migration inks and fountain solution. The fount probably contains chemicals that interfer with the inks ability to dry. The reason I asked why does their low migration package need coating is a simple one.. I have here in my hand samples printed with amerikals products and they are dry with good rub resistance.

Lukew, could you direct me to the Amerikal low migration ink and coating section of their website I cant seem to find it. I would be interested in trying their low migration inks and coatings seeing as you have experienced some very positive results using them. Do they have the ability to produce PMS colours. Low migration inks and coatings are usually produced on dedicated equipment so there is no chance of contamination from regular ink and coatings. so maybe I am looking at the wrong website. Many thanks

Last edited:
I believe they have a contact number on their website. Positive that any in depth information needed regarding their product line could be sent to you. From what I understand their products exceed the food and pharmaceutical packaging guidlines within the USA, possibly worldwide.

Hi Guys, The low migration concept of the conventional inks is that: It should fulfill the requirements of the organoeliptic ( odor and taint) and migration. So the odor comes out drying of oils which needs metal catalyst so to get rid of this fact the LMQ inks are designed without catalyst ( or dryer) so actually LMQ inks do not dry rather settling down the cartoon layers so after printing LMQ water based OPV is mandatory otherwisw all the sheets stick on each other, OPV helps the ink settling down and also not pick the surface,also helps rubbing. For migration side, petroleum based hydrocarbons are ( or mineral oils) are migrating so LMQ inks are designed with suitable vegioils ( which do not oxidise). Therefore, while using a wash, it then should be suitable for LMQ, not contain any petrolum based derivatives ( since normal washes) do have. Foun solution contents also selected as sıitable for LMQ systems. You should e very careful for LMQ prints, since for swiss ordinance, the migration limit is 10 ppb ( 0,01 mg / kg food) and ink+opv does not mean that you can guaranty the LMQ printing, LMQ concept is a package of ink+subsrate+printing environment+press auxiliarries. If something missing the concept from this 4 to LMQ, then you will be in trouble to be detected in analytical measures.

For UV inks, it is still valid except 2 tnigs: for OPV you shoul replace LMQ UV coating and the inks to LM UV inks which do not contain benzophenone or its derivatives of which potential migrants whivh corresponds to the hyrocarbons of conventional inks.

I hope these help

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back