Satin Stock

PricelineNegotiator

Hi,

I am wondering how you guys would describe a satin stock. I had a customer spec a satin sheet for a digital job - to me that would be something like Mohawk's Color Copy Uncoated (Matte). I would think it's closer to matte than gloss, almost a super smooth matte? I always thought it was just a marketing term.

We used to get Lumi silk and it was sometimes called satin on the label. If a customer said to me satin i'd be showing them a silk sheet.

most stocks with a digital offering have a silk line in text and cover weights. we also do a soft touch aqueous coating on our offset press that gives a silky feel.

Hi,
I am wondering how you guys would describe a satin stock. I had a customer spec a satin sheet for a digital job - to me that would be something like Mohawk's Color Copy Uncoated (Matte). I would think it's closer to matte than gloss, almost a super smooth matte? I always thought it was just a marketing term.

Matte stock is uncoated. Satin (aka Silk, Velvet, etc.) are coated stocks. They're just not "gloss" coated. But, as you hold it where the light is glancing off of it, you will notice that it has a slight, soft sheen.

-MailGuru

http://www.mgxcopy.com/blog/san-die...-difference-between-uncoated-gloss-and-matte/ Uncoated Paper
Uncoated paper is exactly what it sounds like – paper that has no extra coating or paper finishing. Since there is no coating, there is no glare on the surface, which makes it ideal for prints that have a lot of text or reading materials. Since there is no coating, this is the most porous paper, which is the best for smudge-less writing with the widest range of pens and pencils when compared to the other finishes. All bond stock paper is uncoated.
Matte Coating
Matte coating is a light coating that provides a boost to the contrast of your photos, but results in very little glare. In the picture above, you can see that the matte coating did not provide much glare when the photo was taken, almost the same effect as the uncoated paper. The matte coating provides a smoother presentation than an uncoated sheet, and softer than the appearance of a glossy sheet. Matte sheets are good for enhancing visual designs with a more subdued layout and color set without having a lot of glare which glossy coatings suffer from.
Gloss Coating
Gloss coating is a coating that provides a lot of shine, which results in a higher contrast and color gamut than other papers. This coating is good for full color images where the color needs to “pop.” This coating gives a very nice finish and professional look for marketing materials or any other kinds of prints that want to show off the color.
UV Gloss Coating
UV Gloss coating is our premium coating that makes pictures really stand out. It really enhances color contrast and makes those vibrant colors pop out, more so than regular gloss. As you can see from the picture above, our UV coating provides a much greater shine than our gloss papers.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back