missing white text

sgravel

A customer supplied a PDF (8.0). When you open the PDF, the logo is missing. When it's printed on our Laser Jet, it shows up. It didn't print in the newspaper either. I can't attach it as it's too large. Can I email it to someone? Thanks.

Re: missing white text

could it be set to overprint? have overprint preview turned on in Acrobat, laser printer did not honor OP's but the newspaper did when they ripped the ad

feel free to send it to me also at [email protected] curious as well

My guess?

It's somehow set to overprint. Your Acrobat is set to overprint
preview, so it disappears there. Your LaserJet can't overprint, so it
shows there. The newspaper's RIP honors the overprint, so it
disappears again there.

It will be interesting to see what the problem is.

David

If it was caused by overprinting white, you can check for it by using the Acrobat preflight tools. In Acrobat Professional 8 go to Advanced --> Print Production --> Preflight. Under PDF analysis you can search for white objects set to overprint.

Shawn

It was an error on the designer's part. White was not set to knock out. I didn't turn the overprint preview off. Thanks everyone.

If you expect files from the same designer in the future, ask them to turn on "simulate overprint" when printing their hard-copy from Acrobat, "simulate overprint" from Indesign, or to change "Overprints" to "Simulate" in the advanced tab of Illustrator's print dialog. This will cause the application to change object colors to achieve the same result on a printer that does not honor the overprint attribute (similar to how transparency flattening works with the multiply blending mode), and they can detect and fix the problem before sending files.

I've put some offending designers onto this guy's site. At present the only Free "White Overprint Detector" Plugin, [for Illustrator], is the CS3 one. But a lot would be on that now, anyway. The others are only a nominal shareware charge, anyway. Could save another ugly recurrence down the track.

http://www.worker72a.com/

Sue, simply use PitStop or Callas pdfCorrect to check and fix white overprints.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back