Illustrator CC 2015 Performance

kansasquaker

Is it just me or is everything about CC 2015 SLOOOOWWWWWW? I have some files that lag even redrawing the workspace. For the record I'm running a Late 2014 iMac, 4ghz core i7, 24gb ram 512mb ssd, 2GB Radeon R9. So, I'm thinking it's not my hardware.

And what is the story with thin lines not drawing correctly? I actually work, so I haven't looked around much, but what the heck? That wasn't ever a problem before - great update Adobe! I did spend the 5 minutes to find out how to disable Animated Zoom. Were people really demanding that? I sure as hell wasn't. For my money I want to go back to CS 5.1. That seemed stable and performed well.

And I didn't have to pay $50/mo for it either.

Last edited:
I do not use Illustrator a whole lot, but it is faster then CC2014 on my 5k iMac. Do you have GPU performance selected?

I didn't remove any fonts, but I use a font manager. So in that sense I've added and removed many fonts, but not any systems fonts.

GPU performance was enabled by default. I tried disabling it just to see and that made things worse (which you would expect).

Confirm that you have the following fonts installed/activated in /Library/Fonts:

Tahoma
Tahoma Bold
Verdana
Verdana Bold
Verdana Italic
Verdana Bold Italic

...and try Illustrator again.

pd

I believe I read where there is a preference setting to "syncronize" connections that will slow the cloud connection considerably, try turning it off.

Also found this:
GPU Preview is what improves performance in the new 2015 version.
Make sure Preferences > GPU Performance > GPU performance is checked on.
It should also say "Compatible GPU detected". (Mine is an AMD Radeon R9 M295X OpenGL Engine)
Your file should say something like: filename.ai @ 100% (CMYK/GPU Preview)
Make sure it says "GPU Preview".

I have a 3.46 12 core Mac Pro w/ 64GB RAM and a Geforce graphics card. Illustrator CC was way slow - much slower than CS3 on my quad core. Had the Tahoma and Veranda fonts installed. Solution: under preferences, GPU enhancement was ON - turned it OFF! Fixed the speed issues completely. GPU enhancement option was slowing Illustrator to a crawl! The card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (4 GB).

Last edited:
Look at the two posts directly above, oxbuger and mmerjamer, completely contradictory advice. These are the kind of problems on should not expect to have with Adobe/MAC combinations.

Look at the two posts directly above, oxbuger and mmerjamer, completely contradictory advice. These are the kind of problems on should not expect to have with Adobe/MAC combinations.

I could accept that if the two systems were identical . . but by their own statements they appear to have two different video cards . . . ox has a AMD Radeon R9 M295X OpenGL Engine and mamer's card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (4 GB) . . . so its not apples and apples but apples and oranges . . . in my experience adobe and apple play fairly nicely together but not every relationship works perfectly . . .

Great find Oxburger! I will add this to my bag of tricks for when Illustrator is performing slowly. For me, ensuring the two previously mentioned fonts were installed has taken care of the problem so far.

pd

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back