Changing Color Profiles in Acrobat

semi-tech

Hello,

I'm trying to change the color space for a PDF to GRACol and SWOP versions (both uncoated) for test output being done elsewhere, per our director's request. I'm using the Convert Color feature in Acrobat, but any printout I get doesn't separate properly, despite the on-screen appearances. Black comes out as 4C black. I'm printing the seps to a HP Laserjet 6015.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this best? :confused: Thanks!

Thanks. Tried it, but still get a map that separates improperly. I have PitStop Pro but there are differing color profiles in the document. Trying to convert all colors to Device CMYK in PitStop first hasn't worked; when I try to use PitStop's Color Conversion panel I still get the message that there is more than one color space.

Thanks. Tried it, but still get a map that separates improperly. I have PitStop Pro but there are differing color profiles in the document. Trying to convert all colors to Device CMYK in PitStop first hasn't worked; when I try to use PitStop's Color Conversion panel I still get the message that there is more than one color space.

If the vector or text is 0cmy100K, then the preserve black checkbox will work (it does not work for rasters or vector gradients). I’d need to see a sample of the original PDF to work out what is going on, it can be attached to a forum post or you can private message me if the file is not for public consumption.

You did not originally mention PitStop Pro.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Yesterday I got a better result by turning off color management in the "Advanced Print Setup." No more 4K black type. And the map (which was in DeviceN color) separates properly also.

I forgot to mention PitStop, yes. I will have to find out how to load additional profiles, as the ones I was looking for aren't in there.

Hello,

I'm trying to change the color space for a PDF to GRACol and SWOP versions (both uncoated) for test output being done elsewhere, per our director's request. I'm using the Convert Color feature in Acrobat, but any printout I get doesn't separate properly, despite the on-screen appearances. Black comes out as 4C black. I'm printing the seps to a HP Laserjet 6015.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this best? :confused: Thanks!

Y​our converting not assigning.

Y​our converting not assigning.

Exactly David, the OP stated that they do wish to convert – just without changing black only objects to four colour black.

It is possible to convert while preserving black only objects.

Assigning will not change TVI, gray balance or colour builds (although it is debatable whether changing colour builds for items that are not grey balance items is required when repurposing coated to uncoated). Sometimes converting is required, sometimes not – it is generally a mixed bag and some objects do require conversion and others do not, all within the one document. This is where Acrobat Pro can help by targeting colour conversions to specific object types (images, not text, or images and vectors but not text etc). Beyond Acrobat Pro, there is of course PitStop Pro with it’s ability to target content via Global Changes or Action Lists and the ability to convert via DeviceLink profiles.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Exactly David, the OP stated that they do wish to convert – just without changing black only objects to four colour black.

It is possible to convert while preserving black only objects.

Assigning will not change TVI, gray balance or colour builds (although it is debatable whether changing colour builds for items that are not grey balance items is required when repurposing coated to uncoated). Sometimes converting is required, sometimes not – it is generally a mixed bag and some objects do require conversion and others do not, all within the one document. This is where Acrobat Pro can help by targeting colour conversions to specific object types (images, not text, or images and vectors but not text etc). Beyond Acrobat Pro, there is of course PitStop Pro with it’s ability to target content via Global Changes or Action Lists and the ability to convert via DeviceLink profiles.

Stephen Marsh

In my opinion any conversion that does not take place in the RIP is going to be problematic for the user, assuming an ICC managed systems assign the new profile and let the process work. If it's a press system using an assumed color space it's moot.

In my opinion any conversion that does not take place in the RIP is going to be problematic for the user, assuming an ICC managed systems assign the new profile and let the process work. If it's a press system using an assumed color space it's moot.

David, you are of course entitled to your own opinions - but not facts. :]

Stephen Marsh

To Stephen Marsh, I don't argue that your process is not better, my point is that 99.9999999% don't have the skill nor the budget to do it.

I just find it interesting that just last week I got the specifications for creating PRINT READY PDF files for a brand new PRINERY System. After all the BS from their technicians they sent me their PDF set up file which I use. Well long story short after being told to embed profiles their Acrobat 7 standard does not use profiles so they're using an assumed color space for the digital and press work. Again all BS and 10 years behind after spending hundreds of thousands on a new work flow.

BTW I sent a few jobs the​ir way from CorelDRAW X7 and it worked and I didn't have to hear their crap, clearly they just push buttons.

David, all we know from the OP is that they wish to change a PDF setup for coated to two different versions of an uncoated condition. They have both Acrobat Pro and PitStop Pro. Two very capable pieces of software to change from coated to uncoated conditions. Using either of these tools correctly is not rocket surgery and is well within the capabilities of common prepress operators.

The OP needs to pass on two PDF files for different uncoated conditions. It is that simple!

Why would they need a RIP? I am pretty sure that the next party does not require 1 bit TIFF files.

Stephen Marsh

To Stephen Marsh, I don't argue that your process is not better, my point is that 99.9999999% don't have the skill nor the budget to do it.

I just find it interesting that just last week I got the specifications for creating PRINT READY PDF files for a brand new PRINERY System. After all the BS from their technicians they sent me their PDF set up file which I use. Well long story short after being told to embed profiles their Acrobat 7 standard does not use profiles so they're using an assumed color space for the digital and press work. Again all BS and 10 years behind after spending hundreds of thousands on a new work flow.

BTW I sent a few jobs the​ir way from CorelDRAW X7 and it worked and I didn't have to hear their crap, clearly they just push buttons.

Stephen Msrsh, well he's worried about separations so I assume a RIP.

David, please re-read the OP:

I’m trying to change the color space for a PDF to GRACol and SWOP versions (both uncoated) for test output being done elsewhere…

Nothing specific about separations, composite is assumed – even more so if the output is being done elsewhere.

Stephen Marsh

A device link profile will work. Or they can simply re-tag the artwork.

Matt, re-tagging will not change TVI, gray balance or colour builds (although it is debatable whether changing colour builds for items that are not grey balance items is required when repurposing coated to uncoated).

Sometimes converting is required, sometimes not – it is generally a mixed bag and some objects do require conversion and others do not, all within the one document. This is where Acrobat Pro can help by targeting colour conversions to specific object types (images, not text, or images and vectors but not text etc). Beyond Acrobat Pro, there is of course PitStop Pro with it’s ability to target content via Global Changes or Action Lists and the ability to convert via DeviceLink profiles.

Sometimes as you say, re-tag or strip out and assign a new output intent and use PitStop curves to factor in the difference in TVI is all that is required.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back