Nchannel in InDesign

madsk

I was hoping someone could help me out with an InDesign problem.

We have some customers who deliver pdf's with NCHANNEL (Or Device-N etc.) colors (Typically its black or white that has been defined). The problem is that our rip for our "smaller" large format printers (Roland Versaworks rip) does not handle NCHANNEL well and usually ends up just ignoring colors in the NCHANNEL space.

When i talk with the customers they tell me that they've defined the colors as CMYK and that they haven't done anything to make it defined as NCHANNEL.

Is there a way to turn off this "feature" in InDesign?

Is there a way to turn off this "feature" in InDesign?

Short answer: There is no button to turn it off, but there may be some workarounds

Any file you output which does not contain all 4 process plates could contain DeviceN. DeviceN allows for additional channels as well so if you're printing CMYK + Spot, Hexachrome, etc., you can end up with DeviceN. DeviceN can be use for Spot colors, Process colors, or both, depending on the makeup of the file. It's in PDF 1.3 or PS 3 and higher.

It's possible that using different job options on output can help remedy the problem. Is he using a preset you supplied him or one of the Adobe defaults? Also, what version of ID.

Greg

Not sure if you're placing the supplied PDF in InDesign and then print to your Roland Versaworks rip but have you tried checking the "Simulate Overprint" in the Output pane of the Print menu (you have to choose composite CMYK) to see if it will rip properly?

Versaworks

Versaworks

Have you tried exporting from ID as eps rather than PDF. We use Versaworks & find that eps gives fewer problems (particularly with transparency issues) than PDF. Just a thought.

Mick

Have you tried exporting from ID as eps rather than PDF. We use Versaworks & find that eps gives fewer problems (particularly with transparency issues) than PDF. Just a thought.

Mick

This is because eps does not support transparency, so that you end up working with pre flattened output.

Al

@ MickRose - yes, what Al Ferrari said - it is not eps that fixes this, it is the flattening - one can either;

1 - export to PDF/X-1a ( which then tells Adobe PDF Lib to flatten before making a PDF file )

2. - complain to the support team at Versaworks and tell them it is not 1995 and that they need to support PDF/X-4 workflows where PDF files can contain layers, transparency settings and - perhaps - spot colors - these things can all be managed within both Adobe and Global Graphics / Harlequin RIP for several years now !

Problem with Number 2 is that while it might make you feel better, it won't get the job printed.

I'd also guess that isn't going to happen anytime soon. All that stuff costs money and in fairness to Roland, Versaworks is an entry-level free product. There are several more robust RIP's out there that will drive a Roland, and solve the problem.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

NChannel isn't specific to transparency. It relates to plate colors. You can have a file with no transparency and still have DeviceN or NChannel (depending on your version of PDF). DeviceN is part of Posctscript Level 3/PDF 1.3 and higher. NChannel is an further extension of DeviceN which is backwards compatible and part of PDF 1.6 and higher.

If NChannel is your problem, a PDF/X-1a should work. If DeviceN itself is not supported, PDF/X-1a might not help.

Greg

Attachments

• sample_file.pdf
    694.1 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Thank you very very much for all the answers. I'm going to try the PDF/X-1A as a solution and see if I can get it to work.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back