Binuscan experience?

gordo

Anyone have experience with Binuscan's Image Processing Machine (for enhancing images) and/or their CMS server (which does reseparation and normalization) that you're willing to share online or direct to me at pritchardgordon @ gmail ( dot ) com?
I'm especially interested in newspaper application but other experience is appreciated.

Thanks, gordo

I know that the ICC profiles from binuscan are nice steering away from purple when bringing bright blues into gamut.

A comment from the developer (warning, not objective, comment can be biased).
binuscan has several solutions. Gordo mention two solutions:
IPM Service (Image Processing Machine, Windows Service). One of the oldest (first?) automatic image enhancement server solutions. Today there are several solutions similar to the IPM.
CMS Server (Colour Management Service, Windows Service). One of the solutions that created a new fashion in the prepress area: "ink saving". However the CMS does not really ink save. It is a colour management "hub" that can convert PDF/EPS/PS from any space to another (and if CMYK to CMYK: Dynamic Device Link calculations). It can also apply the IPM functions on images in case the PDF is X4 and images in RGB as well as sharpen bitmap etc.
"Ink save"... nooot. A side effect of a new type of separation techn. (in case of CMYK output) were all possible colours (Lab) have individual CMYK combinations the smallest amount of ink for each and every colour is calculated. One could say it calculates the colour needed. You get the right amount of ink. Therefore the CMS ended up being called ink save solution.
I believe most other "ink save" solutions, at least the ones I have seen, have simply re-invented GCR.
As Lukas Engqvist mention there is also a stand alone ICC profiling software, Auto Profiler. And some other softwares.
WAN-IFRA has some white papers on the CMS Server and other "ink save" solutions as well but I could not find it on their web.

We have been using Binuscan CMS-server for several years now.
We are using CMS-server for our daily color manangement to print according to Fogra39, Fogra47 and Fogra30 on multiple stocks.
We started to use CMS-server when we realized that we couldn't print good enough using RIP-curves and standard ICC profiles. Now we are able to print "exactly" to standard with both AM- and FM-screening. An other advantage since we started to use CMS-server is that we no longer have any problem with ink-covarage (TIC/TAC). CMS-server does a great job reducing the TAC on both graphics and images = less drying problems.
The interface for updating workflows (re-calibration) are simple and fast. Because we have had some issues with transparency we are always proccessing PDFX/1a files (maybe this isn't an issue in the newer versions?).

Over n out

I originally posted the question because i'm trying to help a newspaper publisher who is using the Binuscan IPM And the CMS Server in a Rampage workflow. Their prepress manager left a year ago and his duties were assigned to the IT manager who knows little about prepress or printing. He's been doing this successfully for the past year (which just shows how good automation in a workflow can be).
Now he wants to make a workflow (not Binuscan) change as well as implement process improvements in the press room.
But, there's no documentation about the original Binuscan setup that was done five years ago. So I'm having to test what the system is doing to the incoming files, as well as the press condition.
The presswork is QC'd by eye. No proofs - soft or hard. No color bars, QC patches, nothing. Not even the dreaded 3/c grey balance bar.

Best, gordo

Ok. Then I don't understand the problem.
If your about to set up a new workflow without CMS Server why do you need to know how CMS Server handles the files?
Since the printer don't work with any colorbars etc. It seems like you guys start with a "blank sheet" :) Why not just set up a proper workflow with or without CMS Server?

I am using the Binuscan for last 5 years which really very reliable and consistent in result.
Maintaing the Neutrals and Vibrancy of colors of the Original Material which lacks in most of the Color Management Softwares

The Beauty of the CMS of Binuscan is its enhancing the Reproduction and Sharpen as well which is very helpful on the substrate like Newsprint with 43GSM

Even it works out very confidently with Higher Screening and FM as well after making proper setup
Very User friendly menus and easy to control without making too much hype of the technology

Ok. Then I don't understand the problem.
If your about to set up a new workflow without CMS Server why do you need to know how CMS Server handles the files?
Since the printer don't work with any colorbars etc. It seems like you guys start with a "blank sheet" :) Why not just set up a proper workflow with or without CMS Server?

The new workflow will have the CMS server. We're trying to determine where they're at. This intent is to determine what services they will need from their suppliers. I won't be setting up their workflow.

Best gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back