Looking for an inkjet printer for color proofs

mcallister

Hi,

I'm looking for tips and recommendatios before buying a printer (Epson, Canon, HP) exclusively for color proofs (a.k.a. best color proofs).

We normally use USA Web Coated Swop2 or FOGRA 27/29/39 for our process. And now we need to increase our reliability in color. If you can suggest printers or models would be appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

McA.

Epson. There are several models to choose from the price is pretty good! If you have tight color management, some models of Epson include an onboard spectrophotometer to help keep your color in check. I currently have 3 Epson 9890's.

pd

The printer is only half of the solution, you also need a proofing RIP - and it is pointless looking at a printer until you know if it is supported by your proofing RIP. If you have PDF workflow software such as Kodak Prinergy, then this may skew the decision toward a proofing RIP from the same vendor due to the tight integration with the workflow software, such as Kodak Proofing Software which leverages the workflow RIP for rasterisation but uses the proofing RIP for inkjet calibration etc. For some other users, the capabilities of the proofing RIP may be more critical than direct connectivity to their workflow system and they are happy to use hot folders for job submission and to use a different proofing RIP engine than the workflow software.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I don't think Kodak any longer offer or support ink-jet proofers, we were recently upgraded to Prinergy 6 and were told most installs now bolt on third-party inkjet and RIP solution such as GMG, we are carrying on with the Kodak Matchprint software that came with Prinergy 5 but I'm not sure it would drive the latest models.

I don't think Kodak any longer offer or support ink-jet proofers, we were recently upgraded to Prinergy 6 and were told most installs now bolt on third-party inkjet and RIP solution such as GMG, we are carrying on with the Kodak Matchprint software that came with Prinergy 5 but I'm not sure it would drive the latest models.

Glenn, Kodak still indeed support inkjet proofing software/hardware, they have recently updated and released version 6.1 of Kodak Proofing Software for Matchprint Inkjet and Kodak Approval (the last inkjet release was 5.2, which was in 2011). Kodak are obviously not putting a whole lot of development into this mature technology with a 3 year break between inkjet software releases! There has been no end of life product announcement or notification. Many users of KPS are still using version 3.x or 4.x, it simply does what they need and they see no need to update unless they need a new controller box or something. KPS currently supports say x600, x800, x880, x900 and x890 series Epson printers and from memory one specific HP model (no Canon models supported).

For Prinergy users in commercial CMYK work with stand alone spot colours, it is very hard to beat Kodak Proofing Software (KPS) on price and benefits/features. With KPS direct connectivity, the Prinergy workflow will do all of the heavy lifting, rasterising and colour managing the proof – while this data is then fed into KPS for the inkjet specific tasks (calibration, layout/nesting, colour bars and certification, spooling/printing etc).

Unless you are doing combined 1 bit plate file inkjet proofing, many people have major concerns with using a different RIP for contone inkjet proofing than the workflow/RIP that is used for producing final plates (concern over proof to plate mismatch).

Kodak have had to go through some tough times in the last few years, cutting back on areas of their business which were not profitable. They first sold off their wide format “yellow box” brand and then a year or so later sold off the “Matchprint” proofing media brand to Ilford Paper and Kodak no longer manufacture or sell any inkjet media. The inkjet media game is very competitive, not much money in it when one considers the overheads of doing business, which is probably how Kodak look at the inkjet proofing RIP market.

So Kodak no longer offer a “complete out of the box package” of Kodak media with matching media configurations and ICC and DeviceLink profiles and colour bars for say Fogra, Gracol or SWOP for KPS. KPS users either have to use a “drop in replacement” media to replace their old Kodak manufactured media if they wish to use their old media configurations, colour profiles and colour bars – or they have to create a brand new media configuration and colour profiles using 3rd party media. If your old KPS licence did not include the option to create 3rd party media configurations, then you can get a free license update from Kodak unlocking this feature. This may be critical in achieving proofs that pass certification for say Fogra or Gracol conditions.

Kodak do appear to have given up on the content/imposition hard copy proofing market. KPS does not support the “new” Epson SureColor T-7000 proofer, which is a common choice for dedicated content/imposition proofing. The “cheapest” new Epson that KPS supports is a x890 model, which is overkill for content/imposition proofing. Generally most commercial printers of any size will have say a x990 model for semi matt coated colour proofing and a cheaper second proofer for content/imposition using lightweight matt coated or uncoated media.

If you are in Packaging where spot colour overprints are critical, then I would not recommend KPS for contone inkjet proofing (even though there is a packaging edition that does have some nice flexo features). I would look into ORIS Color Tuner, GMG, Esko FlexProof, etc. and qualify the proofing of spot colour solid/tint overprints compared to your on-press results, before making a purchase.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Can someone help me with setting up a second hand Epson Stylus Pro 9880 to Kodak Proofing software v3.

I have old Epson Stylus Pro 9880 with Kodak Proofing Software v3. Two weeks ago the printer head died out on me and it very expensive part to replace. Went on Craigslist to look for part but instead found a second hand Epson Stylus Pro 9880 (same model as the first one for sale). Will the Kodak controller recognize this printer that I bought on Craigslist or there other step needs to be done. Please help! Need this printer up and running soon. Thank you.

We use an Epson 7900 with an attached X-rite SpectroProofer and ORIS color management. RIPed out of Rampage.

Can someone help me with setting up a second hand Epson Stylus Pro 9880 to Kodak Proofing software v3.

I have old Epson Stylus Pro 9880 with Kodak Proofing Software v3. Two weeks ago the printer head died out on me and it very expensive part to replace. Went on Craigslist to look for part but instead found a second hand Epson Stylus Pro 9880 (same model as the first one for sale). Will the Kodak controller recognize this printer that I bought on Craigslist or there other step needs to be done. Please help! Need this printer up and running soon. Thank you.

If you are looking to simply swap in/out without setting up the printer again… If networked and not USB connected, you will need to enter the same device address/subnet/router IP settings into the printer, as KPS is expecting in it’s admin settings for the old 9880.

You will also need to perform new calibrations to account for the differences in the heads (ensure that the head is correctly aligned and nozzles clear first).

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back