Exporting data from Techkon SpectroDens

jreinertnash

Hi all, first time caller....

I have been using (and loving) the Techkon SpectroDens device, but the Windows software has been frustrating so far. The "export" function works for tethered measurements, but doesn't export to CGATS or CxF for use with other analysis programs. There is a "CxF Export" function under the File menu, but I can't seem to get any data into the file beyond headers, and there is no mention of this function in the manual.

What I want to do: collect 60 patch readings and store them on the SpectroDens, and then tether to the PC to download them to a CGATS or CxF file. There must be a way to do this, right?

Asking here and also emailing question to tech support. I'll report on the response if I learn something useful.

Thanks in advance,
John Reinert Nash

Hi John,
Out of top of my head I would say that in export menu choose the type of info you want from your patches ( density, lab etc.) set tab in the last pull down box. Set second row for empty and return in the last pull down box. If you want only a single value from your measurement like dot % then I think you won't even need the second row. Just enter instead of tab in the first row. Next you need to click in the export box on the right side.
After that make your measurements and they should appear in the box. After they are all in there export them to cxf.
Without having the software in front of me I would say that is about it. I can try it tomorrow at work if I have the time.

Techkon tech support got back to me with a solution. Essentially, the workflow looks like this:
SpectroDens –> color library in SpectroConnect –> CXF output –> convert to CGATS using BabelColor PatchTool –> read CGATS into Chromix ColorThink or Matlab.

That is a lot of steps, but it gets the color into formats I can easily use while waiting for CXF support to be more widespread. The missing link for me was creating a new color library and a new color book on the PC side in the SpectroConnect software. From there, the CXF export worked as I expected. The reason my CXF file was empty before is that I hadn't loaded the samples into the "color book."

It would be most convenient to be able to use SpectroConnect (or WiFi from the device!) to export sample patches to CXF and CGATS directly. Perhaps in a future firmware update....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back