Stochastic dot... what micron do you use?

jbarrie

I work at a pretty large packaging printer that specializes in "high end" products. We usually print on either 24 point SBS stock or run single face laminate for our customers. We have recently purchased a new rip/screening package utilizing Harliquin HDS stochastic screening and I was wondering what micron do other printers use with their stochastic screening?

Thanks,
Jeff

I work at a pretty large packaging printer that specializes in "high end" products. We usually print on either 24 point SBS stock or run single face laminate for our customers. We have recently purchased a new rip/screening package utilizing Harliquin HDS stochastic screening and I was wondering what micron do other printers use with their stochastic screening?

Thanks,
Jeff

I can answer that....

For very demanding image critical work - 10 micron (Not many printers use this screening though. Some use 20 micron for the majority of their work and reserve 10 for "special" projects. A few printers are 100% 10 micron.)
For typical commercial sheetfed work - 20 micron (this is probably the most popular FM screening size)
For magazine/publications work - 20 or 25 micron (for this application 25 micro is the more popular)
For newspaper (coldset) - 25-35 micron (for this application 35 micro is the more popular)

Thanks for the response Gordo! Anybody else want to chime in on what screening they are running?

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back