Remove Printer Marks Action

david.young

Had a customer supplied PDF that came with marks and bleed on the file.
Used the Remove printer marks action and on one page the bleed disappeared entirely and on the other page bleed disappeared on the left side of page.
The original file according to the properties is that the file was created in InDesign CS4, PDF ver 1.4
I've had some pdf's from illustator that behaved badly when trying to remove marks and the action doesn't seem to work with Quark files.
I really like using this action but this is has me concerned about how well it works.
Anyone had similar experience?

The only problem I've ever had using it is if there is an Illustrator pattern that bleeds off the page, sometimes parts of it get deleted and change the look of the pattern within the trim. In those instances, I just delete marks manually or live with them.

If it's not working on a Quark PDF, the first thing I would check would be to see if the page boxes are correctly defined. If there is no Trim Box, or if the trim box is the same size as the Media Box, then the action won't work. I don't get many Quark PDFs these days, so I can't test it out.

One of the key steps in the supplied action list is “select rendering objects” and selecting outside of the trim box region.

As Matt suggested, you can create your own action list, that could select by registration/all or other attributes.

If you have some sample files from InDesign/Illustrator/Quark then I can take a deeper look at why bleed is being removed. As Andrew suggested, contact Enfocus support and pass on these assets so that they can potentially make improvements.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back