Pitstop acrobat layers

kaiserwilhelm

This is what I have posted in the Adobe forum. Looking for a solution - If the solution lies with Pitstop or Pitstop Server, that is fine by me - own both

Imagine a PDF with 27 layers.
Common LITHO layer one
XXX_A layer 2
XXX_B layer 3, etc to _Z

PAINFUL to go into each PDF and tell each of the 25 layers that I do not want to "not print", etc.

Can I script Acrobat to turn off all but _J for example?
Going to post into Pitstop forum as well

Hello....err....your majesty?

I have an acrobat action that can do this. it's written in JavaScript. For this work the layer names must always be the same or follow a precise naming convention.

If that sounds good to you, post a test file and I'll give it a go.

Unfortunately I don't think PitStop is going to be able to help you with this one. At least not at the moment.
We're missing the functionality to change the printability of the layers. It's on the list, as we're doing a lot around layers at the moment, but that's currently not available.
I will add this thread to the feature request.

Incidentally if you could send me the file that would be great, it sounds an awesome test file!

What is the workflow and expectation? Do you use software that automatically handles the common base layer and each of the 27 version layers (I am guessing not).

So is this a manual thing, you turn on/off layers 27 times and print or process the base and version layer marked as visible or printable as an active pair?

Stephen Marsh

Concept is to be able to make a die for say 26 vendors. Put the litho art into this. Customer makes a 27 layer file. Vendor_C receives the file. Vendor_C removes all layers but Litho and Vendor_C
I have actually made this work now with Pitstop using color names vs layers. I would still love for this to come about via Pitstop (working with layers), but for now, I think I have a work around.

Concept is to be able to make a die for say 26 vendors. Put the litho art into this. Customer makes a 27 layer file. Vendor_C receives the file. Vendor_C removes all layers but Litho and Vendor_C
I have actually made this work now with Pitstop using color names vs layers. I would still love for this to come about via Pitstop (working with layers), but for now, I think I have a work around.

It is early here and I have not yet had a coffee…so please stick with me!

Are you the customer creating the 27 layer PDF or are you the vendor, or are you stuck in the middle between both?

What software is originating the PDF? If the software is InDesign, there is the PEU script which can create versioned PDF files from layers:

http://indesignsecrets.com/page-exporter-utility-peu-5-script-updated-for-cs3.php

Why would a vendor be happy receiving a file that had 26 unnecessary layers that are intended for other providers?

Why not just make a 26 page file, with only the litho and die layers?

Then split the 26 page file to separate files using Acrobat Pro?

http://prepression.blogspot.com.au/2...ile-Names.html

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
:)

More than one way to skin a cat!
The printability option will be a nice solution as well!

It is early here and I have not yet had a coffee…so please stick with me!

Are you the customer creating the 27 layer PDF or are you the vendor, or are you stuck in the middle between both?

What software is originating the PDF? If the software is InDesign, there is the PEU script which can create versioned PDF files from layers:

http://indesignsecrets.com/page-exporter-utility-peu-5-script-updated-for-cs3.php

Why would a vendor be happy receiving a file that had 26 unnecessary layers that are intended for other providers?

Why not just make a 26 page file, with only the litho and die layers?

Then split the 26 page file to separate files using Acrobat Pro?

http://prepression.blogspot.com.au/2...ile-Names.html

Stephen Marsh

The issue is this. We want one pdf that is ready for 26 vendors. (Example) Very simple EAL that will take the same PDF for vendor Q and vendor J - and give them exactly what they want.
Start off at 17 x 11. Original die from customer is not what all other vendors use.
Also, vendors have settings in their RIPS for a "box" to come in at X wide and Y tall.

So, Vendor J EAL deletes out layers that are not LITHO and Vendor J. Also, does a crop of -3, -3, -1.25, and -1.25. Creates a box PERFECT for Vendor J
Vendor Q runs the Vendor Q EAL - leaves just his DIE, the litho, and then crops at -2, -2, -2, -2. Creates a box that is PERFECT for Vendor Q

your tenacity and diligence is admirable, kaiserwilhelm … and, i might be barking up the wrong tree … however, keep a lookout for elements that are transparent, contain blends, special-effects, and trapping/overburns as well. might be acceptable on case-by-case basis … coordination between each customer and pressman could be the status-quo. might entail making use of this website's new "online-proof-form" for this issue. best of luck.

Unfortunately I don't think PitStop is going to be able to help you with this one. At least not at the moment.
We're missing the functionality to change the printability of the layers. It's on the list, as we're doing a lot around layers at the moment, but that's currently not available.
I will add this thread to the feature request.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]abc,
I addressed this area with Esko AutomationEngine support a while back. If pitstop is going to able to handle this please, please, please pass on the importance to development to enable full use of the properties/attributes with layers. Esko AE tickets only understand printable+visible or not-printable+invisible. There are a lot of us out here that want layers to be visible but not printable/exportable. Pitstop is many times our one way around things that AE lacks natively. It's a huge blessing to have ability to run pitstop actions in AE.
[/FONT]

chevalier, it's definitely on the list. There are some interesting things going on in this area so your post makes a lot of sense.
Are you at Drupa by any chance, if so drop by for a chat!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back