Silk screening vignettes

Macmann

Any tips on how to eliminate the tonal jump in silk screened vignettes? No matter how smooth the film looks, when the image is printed we see a tonal jump which creates a hard line in an otherwise smooth gradient. We have tested multiple dot shapes but do not currently have a license for the Rugby dot. Would that be the answer or are there other issues at play here?

Need more info on your issue.
What is the resolution of output? What LPI? What is your output device? Are you seeing the banding all they way thru 0%-100%? Are the Bands about the same thickness?

By the way Rugby dot is not a great dot shape because of the lack on angles. You want to find the correct angles for each color to Minimize mesh interface.

Thanks for the reply macdevin. Full disclosure-I've posted this issue in the past and Gordo has been a wealth of information, but we still see the tonal jump in some gradients. We do high end applique work and the clients are extremely critical. We output film to a Megasetter, resolution is at 2540, line screen is usually between 50 and 80lpi depending on content and angles range from 7 to 52 degrees. We use custom mixed inks-NO process colors and lots of metallics which dictate the mesh we use depending on the amount and size of the metallic flake they contain. We have tried multiple dot shapes and angles. It is not banding in the traditional sense, the gradients on film are completely smooth. It is the interaction of the mesh, film, ink and press. As Gordo explained, there is chaining of the dot that occurs at different points in the gradient depending on the shape of the dot used and it is at that point where we get a bump in density causing an unsightly line. Without revealing any trade secrets I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Just a possibly stupid question . . but have you tried making the gradients in photoshop and then turning them into bitmaps using diffusion dithering . . sometimes it makes the screen angles much less important . . . ??????

We have. It works to varying degrees of success but there is always the chaining issue giving us the tonal jump (some call this optical bump) I just call it frustrating.

I'm not able to help as I do not know your full setting.. Can you see the the banding in the Film? You never said where your seeing the banding in the entire tonal range.
I can tell you we have very little banding unless their is a job that has a vignette that goes beyond the 8bit limit in length. And were going Direct to Screen with a much lower Res. Your output of 2540 gives you a much longer length before you should any.

Have you tried to turn off your linearization or calibration and output again? In my experience, that was typically caused by too many nodes on the curves, but your results may vary.

Last edited:
Film is absolutely smooth-the tonal jump happens when ink hits the stock. I hesitate to call this "banding" as it is not something adding noise will help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back