Nexus Calibration

pacart

We currently run Nexus 9.0.3, and aren't interested in upgrading anytime soon. That being said we are looking for a Nexus guru who can quote us what it might cost to come in and get our presses calibrated, we aren't sure we can afford it this until we know the quote. We believe our curves aren't quite right and we don't have anyone on staff who has the knowhow to redo the curves. We currently have a 2 color Ryobi 522 HXX and 2 smaller Ryobi twin towers. Our main problem is the 4 color calibration on the 522. We are located in Lynnwood Washington. Any help in finding someone would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can’t comment on tuning your presses, but regardless you may have to redo your Nexus curves. You can still access the Symphony calibration software manual by going to http://esko.com/support. Choose Product Documentation, find Nexus in the dropdown menu under Browse product documentation, and hit the green Browse Documentation button. Symphony Calibrator manual will be there.

Thanks, we have the symphony documentation, we just need someone who understands it and won't waste a lot of time and money trying to figure it out, we just need it done - as long as we can afford it.

Can’t comment on tuning your presses, but regardless you may have to redo your Nexus curves. You can still access the Symphony calibration software manual by going to http://esko.com/support. Choose Product Documentation, find Nexus in the dropdown menu under Browse product documentation, and hit the green Browse Documentation button. Symphony Calibrator manual will be there.

Another brilliant answer from Esko...

I contacted esko through their website and haven't heard from them at all. Why do they even have a contact us form if they aren't going to answer?

No, we cancelled our support contract. We couldn't justify the cost, we never had anything break and the software upgrades aren't a necessity - you can only make little round dots so many ways, ya know. This is the first time in 4 years that we could use some help.

We also run with nexus front end and used Symphony Calibrator as well. And the Calibrator software you will like. Can you upload a photo of your setup now. We will work it out.

No Title

Yes a snapshot of your curve file. we run with 3 different lpi screens and each will run with different values you will not need to do all of that. just 1 will work for the 2 color Ryobi.The photo on the right may work as a test setup.

Attachments

• photo5301.jpg
    photo5301.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 227
  • photo5303.jpg
    photo5303.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Here are my curves, I think they are jacked up. They shouldn't all be identical....right? Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.24.22 AM.png.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.24.12 AM.png.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.23.59 AM.png.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.23.59 AM.png.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.23.39 AM.png.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 8.23.39 AM.png.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
The curves were done before I came onboard and I've never been trained on Nexus software other than how to use it to make plate files and send to rip, I don't know how to set it up. I've got the symphony reference guide and I found a document that shows how to make curves for a wide format proofer, but I don't see a document that shows the steps to make the curves for a press. I'm pretty sure i can enter the data into symphony to create the curves, but what do I print on the press to get the numbers to put into symphony?

I see that you are running 180lpi. We were told to run 150lpi for the Ryobi and when you run your 4/col 2 pass we run (Cyan/Black) then (Magenta/Yellow) The Ryobi does not have the right type of roller size and enough of them to carrier the ink on the 180lpi. Have you tried to run 150lpi then run the same job with 180lpi.

Last edited:
The curves were done before I came onboard and I've never been trained on Nexus software other than how to use it to make plate files and send to rip, I don't know how to set it up. I've got the symphony reference guide and I found a document that shows how to make curves for a wide format proofer, but I don't see a document that shows the steps to make the curves for a press. I'm pretty sure i can enter the data into symphony to create the curves, but what do I print on the press to get the numbers to put into symphony?

I will make up a step by step pdf and how to set it up this will take me a week is this ok

Last edited:
thanks for that it sounds like you are a pressman and you know what is best.

Last edited:
No Title

Your Ryobi may run much better and cleaner with 133lpi to 150lpi if the press is old and needs new rollers. With luck your rollers are in great condition so you can run 150lpi to 175lpi. The screening part open your (Nexus) go to the (Work Flows module) you have for the Ryobi open the (Assemble Separation) look at the (screen family) we used (pcc nominal) unlock this then unlock (Dot) we used (Euclideaw) and unlock (Rulling). and save Now when you open your output pagination program we used DynaStrip. you should have a pull down menu for your plates you can decide on the best lpi at that time. This works for us depending on the stock.

The Ryobi does not have the right type of rollers size and enough of them to carrier the ink. resetting roller pressures and cylinder pressures to factory specifications will help as well. When we run 4/c 2 pass we run (Cyan/Magenta) and then (Yellow/Black) this works best for us.

And I am working on the cal files. photo photo 1 our output DynaStrip Photo 2 Nexus Assemble Separation photo 3 nexus folder.

Attachments

• photo5353.jpg
    photo5353.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 212
  • photo5354.jpg
    photo5354.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 231
  • photo5355.jpg
    photo5355.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I talked to our pressman about the rollers, he said we have pretty new rollers, we purchase a bunch when they were having a buy 2 get 1 free sale or something. I am going to have him run a test just so we can see the difference between the line screen quality, so we are going to run the same image on the 522HXX at 133, 150, 180. The only problem we'll have is stuff that we print all the time, if we change the lpi, it may look different, but maybe the customer won't notice.

We had a customer complain when we stopped using polyester plates, our line screen went up and he wasn't happy - go figure.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back