Dynamic Barcode Leading Letter in a UPC-A code?

StillWaiting

How do I get a leading letter in a UPC-A barcode? The leading letter is used in a lot of pharmaceutical codes that we produce.
Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.17.11 AM.png.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.17.11 AM.png.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.17.11 AM.png.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 291
I don't think you can do it with UPC-A. As far as I know, UPC-A only uses numerics. I think you may be looking for one of the variant's of the UPC-A (UPC-C, UPC-N, etc)

I don't think the "N" is actually part of the barcode. I just made a UPC-A for "370408746313" and as far as I can see it's the same exact barcode as pictured above.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 1.04.15 PM.png.jpg

The 1st digit of the UPC code indicates it's use. The 1st digit of "3" is reserved for drugs and pharmaceuticals and indicates that the number that follows is it's National Drug Code (which, is probably what the "N" means). I believe that UPC-B is specifically for the National Drug Code stuff, so, I'll bet if you print it under UPC-B, the "N" will print as a constant, but, not as part of the actual bar code

I just looked again in the barcode software, and scrolled a little further through the types, and there actually is a "UPC-A National Drug Code" variant and it does add the "N". That's the type you want.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 2.53.23 PM.png

Way to go PrintIT!!!! I guess we put that one to bed. Next?.................................................

Still waiting,

I'm pretty sure that this is an NDC/HRI code not a UPC(A). This type of code piggybacks on UPC(A) specifications. Here (nih.gov) is an incredibly verbose article about it that I didn't bother reading. DynamicBarcodes can output this type of code.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back