Image Engine

Husker5150

Does public parameters work with image engine for sending plates to CTP device? We can send plates ok but we cannot select each plate its all or nothing. Any idea's on this. In flex proof we could select or turn off inks that we didn't want to print and I'm trying to set up IE the same way and I cant figure it out

This feature was REMOVED in imaging engine. I know it is ridiculous! Now if you need to re-rip one color you have to rip the entire job. It is supposedly coming back in version 16 but who knows. No one at Esko seems to know why it was removed in the first place.

The feature wasn't removed from Imaging Engine, it just hasn't made it's way into a release as of yet.
With Imaging Engine, the concept was to get a product out as soon as possible to the user base to better handle ripping of more complex files. So, as soon as Imaging Engine had enough base features, it was released.
The missing items are then being added in in subsequent releases.
Ink Selection via Public Parameters is coming in 16.
For the time being, you can use Printing Methods to do ink selection (ie make a Printing Method called "DoNotPrint", then assign that to inks that you don't want output via Public Parameter in Optimize PDF Separations, and use Selection Criteria in the Imaging Engine tasks to not rip inks that have a Printing Method of "DoNotPrint").

EskoAndy - I get what you are saying and I understand it is a "new" product. But Imaging Engine is the replacement to AE, so any missing features should have been made clear up front and IMO thats as good as being removed. If Adobe released a new version of Photoshop under a different name and it was missing features I think most would agree that they are in fact missing and not "it just hasn't made it's way into a release as of yet". Ink selection via public parameters was a key function to a lot of workflows. We are aware of the workaround (Thanks for including it for anyone else that did not know!) but it takes way to long to go that route. Its just faster to RIP everything and delete files that are not needed but even that is much slower that the public parameters selection that can be done on the fly and extremely fast. Anxiously awaiting 16 to gain back quite a few features that no longer work as they have.
Anyway we do appreciate the response!

Just one clarification to what you wrote. Imaging Engine is not a replacement of AE (it is a replacement of FlexRip and the Nexus PDF Rip).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back