3 questions sm 74

Pwa

Hi All,
1-how to check & set the ink vibrator(ductor) to the duct roller(fountain roller)?

2-our slowdown tapes don't last long and they get split in half, is that a common problem, can we fix it with different kind of slowdown tapes?

3-every now and then the aqueous coating gets thick and the pump struggles to pump it up therefore we get marking on the sheet. It's fixed by mixing some water. Just wanted to know if that's a common thing or the pump is not strong enough?!

Our machine is Heidelberg Sm 74.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Cheers.

As far as I remember there is an eccentric bolt on DS and OS that reduces or increases the contact area between ink fountain roller and ink doctor.

For coating issue, first check your coating circulation in the pan, if its too slow than try to increase the circulation pressure. Second you can stirr the coating in pan from one side to other, this will help to prevent this issue.
Yes you can add water in coating just to keep the viscosity around 35 sec with Din 4 cup. Hope this helps.

Aqazi81 is correct about the eccentric bolt 6mm. for adjusting the ink ductor to the ink fountain roller. Movement of the eccentric is locked by 2 13mm bolts. I found this setting can be very touchy, so be careful. After loosening the 13mm lock slightly, to allow movement of the eccentric.The roller can be adjusted by turning the 6mm eccentric towards the ink fountain roller to get a bigger stripe and away from the fountain roller to narrow the stripe. (Operator side turn clockwise and non operator side turn counter clockwise).
I used to check and adjust this roller like this. First check the stripe (4mm) and it should be even across.
1. Make sure that the ink fountain roller is not turning.
2. Hold the inching button in so that the press starts to crawl, while crawling engage the ink ductor and wait until it comes into contact with the fountain roller.
3. When the ink ductor completes its cycle to the ink fountain roller and starts to move back the the inking rollers stop the crawl.
4. Turn the ink fountain roller with the button that moves the roller and check the width of the stripe. Unlock 13 mm lock nut, adjust the eccentric as needed and tighten up the 13mm bolt. (do not forget to tighten the 13mm). When you turn the 6mm eccentric you will find that it does not take too much to create a change in the width of the stripe.
5.Repeat Steps 2-4 until you get a good setting. There is no need to set this roller to the inking train, only to the fountain roller.

Item 2 : Slow down wheels, Consumable items. Different types available, Yellow ones from Heidelberg last longer. Grey ones have a shorter life span. Probably cost more from Heidelberg. You could try after market ones, but change them all at the same time. Try not mix different belts.

Item 3: Coating issues with flow. Make sure that the small screen filters on your pump are cleaned regularly. Careful how you undo them as you might snap the PVC piping. Check in your operating manual from proper maintenance procedure. Make sure the coating is always stirred up before you start up and check viscosity of each new barrel.

These are just a few ideas. Hope they help.

Hello everybody,
Please anyone can help me?
I have the problem on SM 74 and the problem is like this:
the image is being transferred to the blanket but not to the papers!Sometimes it transferred to the papers and sometimes it is not transferred! What can cause this?
I tried to check the pressure between the impression cylinder and the blanket cylinder,it look to be fine.
Any advice?

Is it on one unit or all units have the same problem? If only one unit then check the pneumatic cylinder on that unit.

It is on one unit only.It is sm74 with 5 units and the unit 3 has that problem.
I have checked pneumatic cylinder and it moving well.

I did a small adjustment on the pneumatic cylinder and now one side is almost fine but the other is not yet.I mean now I can see the image on the paper on operator side(OS)
but on the drive side (DS) the pressure is still not enough.
Is there other thing to check?
Thank you in advance.

No Title

Have you checked the valve that is operating these cylinders?
If that is okay then check for the below mentioned setting.

Adjust the distance x to 115.6mm by adjusting the lock nut showed in diagram. This is the basic setting but this can be a bit different if the mechanism is worn out. Otherwise replace with a new pneumatic cylinder or one that is good. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• photo5704.jpg
    photo5704.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Hi,
aqazi81 thank you for your reply.
The year of press is 2000.
I have tried all these adjustments but no change.I have no image on the drive side.
Can Brakes on the blanket cylinder bearing cause this?
Please can you give me information on how to replace the impression cylinder jacket and transfer cylinder jacket?

If someone had recently adjusted the brakes then it might be but generally not.
Impression cylinder jackets are an expensive part and without proper tools and training its better to leave it to service technician.
Which type of transfer jackets you have?

Hi,
Thank for your reply.
nobody has adjusted the brakes.I don't understand what happened!The problem came all of a sadden
For impression cylinder,finally I could to replace it.

No Title

I am not a pressman I asked them and they said if these pins are broke then this could happen on the operator side down on the bottom right side. this is a double pin you will need both of them. You can check this if you tap the pin in a little bit and then try the press. If the press works then replace both pins this is just for a test do not run after the test....

Attachments

• photo5706.jpg
    photo5706.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 529
  • photo5707.jpg
    photo5707.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 340
  • photo5708.jpg
    photo5708.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Hi,
Thank you maac and aqazi81 for helping me in this problem.
I am going to check these pins,I didn't think about it before.Maybe the problem is from there.

Hi,
Thank you maac and aqazi81 for helping me in this problem.
I am going to check these pins,I didn't think about it before.Maybe the problem is from there.

When you find out could you let us know. Our pressman would like to know Louis the pressman runs both the (ms-74) and the (sm-52)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back