Do you recognize this dialog box?

gordo

I'm trying to understand the contents of this dialog box. I don't know what workflow it is: CD_Y.jpg

I'm told that Nominal% and Process% are the tone values on the CtP plate. That sounds silly - why have two columns differently named containing the same data? If you recognize the workflow perhaps you can clarify what's going on?
I'm told that Measured% is the tone value measure on the press sheet.
Unfortunately because the Measured% is not tied to the requested tone value I can't correlate the dot gains between separations (which is what I'd like to do) since the .Nominal% and Process% values are different from plate to plate and they have different quantities of values (e.g. Cyan has 12 values but Magenta and Black have 14, and Yellow has 16 in those columns).

Last edited:
No Title

It's Prinect and perhaps attached screenshot can help explain.
There is much more to Calibration tool and that dialog change accordingly.
I am not expert on it though.

Attachments

• photo4957.jpg
    photo4957.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 190
It's Prinect and perhaps attached screenshot can help explain.
There is much more to Calibration tool and that dialog change accordingly.
I am not expert on it though.

Thank you! A massive help. Your screen shot is very low resolution so I can't read it. Do you have a higher res version that you could email me? pritchardgordon (@) gmail (dot) com

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand the contents of this dialog box. I don't know what workflow it is:

As zoran said, this is Prinect Calibration Manager.
Your screenshot shows an interesting case:
Nominal is the input Dot%
Process is the target Dot% (what is supposed to be on the sheet after dot gain)
Measured is the Dot% that was measured on the sheet

So this screenshot shows a linear (Nominal=Process) printing process for Yellow with 16 values.
You can define your own process target values and even (as you mentioned) different amount of values per color.

Unfortunately because the Measured% is not tied to the requested tone value I can't correlate the dot gains between separations (which is what I'd like to do) since the .Nominal% and Process% values are different from plate to plate and they have different quantities of values (e.g. Cyan has 12 values but Magenta and Black have 14, and Yellow has 16 in those columns).

Who would do such a thing? :p

Maybe this can help; I only have the german version, though.
YdyczRn.png

You can change what is displayed (drop down menu "Anzeige:" which is "Display:" in englisch) to "Measured (average)" and then below that choose which colors to display. The last column "Mittel%" is the averaged Measured%. Note that this was designed for test forms that have 2 or 3 fields to measure dot gain per color (left side of sheet, middle of sheet, right side of sheet) and then average these)
Is that what you were looking for?
Note that Process% and Measured% has changed to dot gain% values if you put a checkmark at "Punktzuwachs" (=dot gain) below the graph.

INUT9cU.png

Same without dot gain checked, now the target% and measured% are displayed.

As zoran said, this is Prinect Calibration Manager.
Your screenshot shows an interesting case:
Nominal is the input Dot%
Process is the target Dot% (what is supposed to be on the sheet after dot gain)
Measured is the Dot% that was measured on the sheet

Thanks for taking the time.

I was told that Nominal% and Process% were measured from the plate - not the presswork. This didn't make sense to me which leads me to question the other information I've been given.

So this screenshot shows a linear (Nominal=Process) printing process for Yellow with 16 values.
You can define your own process target values and even (as you mentioned) different amount of values per color.

Who would do such a thing? :p

I'm getting information from a third party who does not know about printing so he does not know what questions to ask of the printshop he's dealing with. He also doesn't know how to question what information he's been given. I can't deal with his printer directly because of confidentiality issues. So I'm in a bit of a pickle here. LOL

What I want to do is take the printer's input data (the source file tone values) and compare those with the matching presswork values in order to graph their tone reproduction curves. (e.g. file 50%=72%, 40%=61%, etc.) This is one way I can see if there are any possible press issues. I can then correlate that information with micro examination of the presswork.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back