Switching to Windows from Mac...advice??

ernmax

Department expansion, & output device and workstation purchases are looming, and I'm wondering if investing in Windows machines is the way to go. Been in a Mac cocoon for too many years to count, but it seems every new mac OS creates headaches...printing, fonts, Prinergy compatability, etc..

So I'm asking...any reason to avoid migrating to Windows for graphics (Adobe) and workflow?? What if any issues have you had? What flavor of Windows is best at this point?

IMHO . . stick with he MAC for DTP use - (Disclaimer: I am a MAC Bigot) If most of my customers didn't use MACs I might not make this recommendation . . but at the least I would have one IMac running the latest versions of the Adobe DTP programs . . .

Avoid using store bought name brand systems, the reason I say this is that store brand A says it uses a Nividia video card except when you do your research you realize they use the Nvidia chipset licensed to them in a card they have manufactured for themselves. Avoid systems that share system memory with the video.

I use Intel I7 processors, Nvidia Video cards at least 1 GB memory, I also use SSD (solid state drives) as the windows drive and 10,000 RPM 1 or 2 TB secondary drive I suggest 24 to 32 GB RAM. My custom systems run like rabbits and are rock solid. I use Windows 7 pro, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 all 64 bit

Buy Mac hardware and install Windows 7, 8 or 10. Not only is it the best Windows hardware you can acquire but also that way you can revert back when/if you realize the mistake.

If you put a USB stick into a Windows machine does the stick automatically show up on the desktop or do you have to search for it?

Good luck getting Workshop/Preps to work on a Windows PC. I've tried a few times and ended up giving up every time.

If you put a USB stick into a Windows machine does the stick automatically show up on the desktop or do you have to search for it?

Most of the time it does if Windows recognizes the disk format. Even then though I've had times where you have to fight with it.

Honestly today, other than the programs that you have already licensed and paid for, there is really no compelling reason to stick with MAC I (AND I am a mac Bigot for many years) There are slight differences between having to work with Native customer supplied Application MAC supplied files Verses receiving and working with Customer supplied PDF files, but even that today causes little issues. I have many customers that their prepress departments are all PC based, and no MAC in sight. Fonts was once the greatest issues, but that is rare, and only when working with Native application files. Most high end processing systems (XMF ,Printergy, Prinect, EA12, etc, are built to process and Rip PDF files on a PC platform

My best advise is to run a Mac OS that is one or two generations older than the most current. I am running 10.9.5 right now on a brand new MacPro and it is close to flawless. Don't ever jump the gun on upgrades, do you homework first, make sure all your software is going to function properly before you upgrade. If you really want to try Windows, run it as a virtual machine. If all goes well have at it but expect the unexpected. Windows still surprises me every now and then (not in a good way).

When I worked at the Creo offices in Vancouver there were about 1200 employees of which about 400 used MACs. There were 10 full time IT people to support the PCs and one fellow who wasn't part of IT who supported MACs in his spare time.

Honestly today, other than the programs that you have already licensed and paid for, there is really no compelling reason to stick with MAC I (AND I am a mac Bigot for many years) There are slight differences between having to work with Native customer supplied Application MAC supplied files Verses receiving and working with Customer supplied PDF files, but even that today causes little issues. I have many customers that their prepress departments are all PC based, and no MAC in sight. Fonts was once the greatest issues, but that is rare, and only when working with Native application files. Most high end processing systems (XMF ,Printergy, Prinect, EA12, etc, are built to process and Rip PDF files on a PC platform

Like Gordo said just the IT issues are enough for me . . . but, not being a windows user don't know all the ins and outs of them but I do know that my Retina IMac OS10.10 3 has been running for a couple of weeks without a restart and my brother restarts all of his IBM computers every day just to avoid trouble . . .

Just my 2 cents :)

Like Gordo said just the IT issues are enough for me . . . but, not being a windows user don't know all the ins and outs of them but I do know that my Retina IMac OS10.10 3 has been running for a couple of weeks without a restart and my brother restarts all of his IBM computers every day just to avoid trouble . . .

Just my 2 cents :)

I've used MACs since 1984 and have never had an issue that was MAC OS related. Apps like Quark, Adobe, and some minor apps yes but not the MACs themselves. From time to time I've had to use PCs because that was the company's policy. I always felt that it was the IT people who imposed the PC requirement to ensure their job security.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Sounds like I will stick with Macs (if I can get them past the CFO!)

If you want to support the Patriot Act, Windows is the only. At least one government agency will be listening to you.

If you do switch to Windows, here are a few suggestions:

1. As David said, don't buy store-bought systems from places like Best Buy. Those systems often come with a ton of bloatware you're not going to need (and it slows your system down!).
2. Purchase anti-virus/anti-malware software and ensure you keep it up to date ;-)

Just my 2¢ :)

pd

No Title

I've used MACs since 1984 and have never had an issue that was MAC OS related. Apps like Quark, Adobe, and some minor apps yes but not the MACs themselves. From time to time I've had to use PCs because that was the company's policy. I always felt that it was the IT people who imposed the PC requirement to ensure their job security.

That comment made me think about this comic from about 13 years ago...

Attachments

• photo4964.jpg
    photo4964.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 204
That comment made me think about this comic from about 13 years ago...

I maintain all the computers at work, we are a small family shop so do all sorts of things other then prepress. I have to say, when I switched over almost all our computers (needed 2 that were dedicated to our CTP running XP) to Mac, well it made my life a lot simpler. Just seems to be a lot simpler. Now this was XP, I know Win 7 is much better and am liking Win 10, but have only been playing around with that so light usage. I am not eager to jump back into a Windows environment here, it would take some pretty massive blunders on Apples part to push me fully that way. Headaches went down significantly and I have to spend almost no time at all fixing or problem solving on the macs here.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back