EDDM problems with USPS

xcelprint

We have experienced several instances of EDDM mailings not arriving at destinations. Anybody else dealing with this? Customers love the idea but it is embarrassing when their mailing does not get delivered. Thanks.

We have experienced several instances of EDDM mailings not arriving at destinations. Anybody else dealing with this? Customers love the idea but it is embarrassing when their mailing does not get delivered. Thanks.

Had a 2,500 piece one ship out from Michigan to go down to Florida, did not arrive. We/our customer is in the process of getting refunded (read as getting screwed around for 3 months and then waiting 3 months for the refund). The mailing was sent before Thanksgiving and it literally just *disappeared*.

I do not like EDDM. Never have. For one thing, it's a play on the old "spray & pray" method of direct mail advertising (as opposed to targeted direct mail). It's nothing new, it's been around for over 30 years, they just "re-branded" it. Back in the day, it was called "saturated Carrier Route Alternative Address - Postal Customer" mail. All you needed from the post office was a count of how many delivery addresses there are in each carrier route. Secondly, it's objective is to increase the use of postal service mail by local businesses. It was their intent that "Joe's Barber Shop" be able to do their own mailing by going online and selecting their geographic area and forms that need to be filled out to present to the post office, and, thus, bypassing the very businesses that have kept them fed all these years (list companies, and, mail shops).

Of course, their own delivery statistics show that it is a dismal failure. They underestimated the complexity of their own regulations with regard to mail piece design, DDU delivery, and an understanding of how to navigate the ins and outs of doing business with the USPS that actually prevents "Joe's Barber Shop" from being able to do it on their own.

Here's your problem: The very logistics behind an EDDM mailing prevents you from being able to tell whether it was delivered or not, and, when.

The theory is, "since the postal carrier is going to a particular address anyway (delivering other First Class Mail & addressed advertising mail), it would not be any extra effort for them to include a "Postal Customer", generic EDDM piece and include it as they put it in your mail box".

BUT.........what if there isn't any other mail going in to that receptacle for that day? They are not going to (not supposed to) make an extra stop at your mail box just to deliver the EDDM mail. That would negate the whole economics of being able to deliver EDDM mail so inexpensively. So, that mail will get held over for the following day, or, whenever there IS any other mail going in to that receptable.

Also, the carriers are instructed to continually include one of these EDDM pieces in each mail box on their route (that also has other mail) untill they run out of the EDDM pieces. So, if your carrier route has 432 locations, and, only 200 EDDM pieces, then 232 of the other locations in that carrier route will not get one (maybe one of those locations is where your customer lives who is telling you that the EDDM pieces are not being delivered).

Lastly, since an EDDM piece is not actually addressed to any specific person (they are addressed to "Postal Customer"), it would not be unusual for a recipient to tell you they never got one.

We steer clients away from using EDDM. If they insist on using the "spray & pray" method of direct mail, they'll get a much better response and tracking by using a Walk Sequence Saturated Carrier Route mailing that is only a couple of pennies more in postage (EDDM doesn't really save that much). If possible, as an advocate for our client's success, we try and delve in to exactly what they are trying to market, and, target the list accordingly, to get them a much higher response rate and return on investment ("Joe's Barber Shop" does not do hair stylings for women, so, you are wasting your money marketing to them, even though they might be right next door to your shop).

-MailGuru

Last edited:
Actually, I stand corrected with regard to postage pricing. I just looked it up. Walk Seq Sat Point Carrier Route mail with a DSCF discount is 2.6-cents cheaper than EDDM (EDDM is $0.183, ECRWSS at the DSCF level is $0.157)

Mailguru...
I am learning how much I don't know about mailing... It is a growing part of our business and I think we need to get better. We have been relying on counter help at the USPS and it seems to be inconsistent. Thanks again.

I've been doing mailings for about 8 years now and was one of the first people to do EDDM in our County when the Post Office introduced back in 2009 (I think). I showed up at some post offices and they didn't know what I was giving them! Lol! A few months ago, I had my first screwed up mailing and guess what. It was an EDDM. The post office that accepted it says it went out on the truck and the post office that should have received it said they never got it. Ugh. Like MailGuru, I don't care for them for a lot of reasons not the least of which I hate all that banding and face-slipping.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back