ESKO ending support

Macmann

We were informed that ESKO will no longer offer a maintenance contract on our Barco Megasetter after December 31, 2016. We are a high-end screen printer who's business depends on the superior image quality this unit provides. In the past we kept an eye out for old units and used them for parts. With this new development it appears the cost of maintaining our Megasetter could get very expensive-especially if we are down for an extended period of time. Is anyone aware of a way to retrofit a platesetter to run film? If not, what solution are others migrating to. We've seen the direct to screen solutions and have been underwhelmed with the quality. What about LADF systems? Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated. We knew this day would come, but it appears ESKO is forcing our timeline.

Last edited:
I would suggest that one possible option would be to look into a Kodak imagesetter that can use DITR film.

Stephen Marsh

Thanks Stephen. I like what I read online about the laser ablative dry film process. It seems a better fit for us, but I was hoping to hear some input from those who have moved to it. From what I've read the Kodak film is not as robust as the product from the Flint Group. The fact that CDI Spark platesetters can run this film AND are supported by Esko is a definite plus for us.

Hi Macmann, Esko has many customers using ablative film on CDIs. Most people who are moving away from imagesetters go to an inkjet film process, but most can agree this will not deliver the same accuracy and quality you are currently getting from your Megasetter. I'd be happy to image a sample film for you on a CDI so you can test it out. Email me at [email protected]

Rory Marsoun, VP business Development, Esko

The inkjet film is what we use currenly and it is a terrible option. We are a specialty stamping and embossing shop that is going to digital film output on a new Kodak Plate setter at the end of the year. I received film samples from Kodak and it is accurate as the plates are but it is UV restrictive and not dense enough to be completely light restrictive like litho film was. Hope this helps.

Thanks laserplate-I will take you up on that! mthomas42-Did you guys ever consider direct to screen?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back