Illustrator - a good trick

RVNG

A good trick, but I don't know why it works:

I have a native illustrator file w/ fonts and links ... except 1 image is missing. I rename the .AI file to .PDF, open in Acrobat Pro and image can be seen. Using the Acorbat 'Edit Text and Imaging' Tool I can extract the missing image to Photoshop, image is hires and can saved out to be re-linked in the native file. Works perfectly ... but why should it? Missing should be missing, right? Can anyone shed light on how this works?

Christian

Confirmed this works. Very cool trick! No idea why it works but going in my bag O.
Apparently missing is not really missing.

If I had to guess . . . I would bet its embedded in the .ai file . . . how did you get this file and why was the image missing?

IF the ai file is saved with the "Create PDF Compatible File" box checked in the Illustrator Options dialog, Illustrator will create a PDF embedded in the ai file. You don't have to rename the file extension, just simply open the ai file in Acrobat.

AI should be file with PDF content embedded into AI file - "Create PDF Compatible File" in Save dialog. Same effect can be achieved by opening the same file in older version of Illustrator: it is not able to read newer AI file version so it will ask to open PDF part of file instead. Unembedding can be done from illustrator and relinked back in newer version.

This does not happen to often but have had a few files like this, will give it a try next time around!

AI should be file with PDF content embedded into AI file - "Create PDF Compatible File" in Save dialog. Same effect can be achieved by opening the same file in older version of Illustrator: it is not able to read newer AI file version so it will ask to open PDF part of file instead. Unembedding can be done from illustrator and relinked back in newer version.

As TomcatInc said.

It's a dual file with PDF embedded too :)

illustrator has been writing and AI file as a modified PDF. SO like someone said if the .pdf checkbox is done you can change AI to PDF and it will open the PDF. There are issues with that too. But it has been a handy trick I have used for about 10 years. I think the AI CS was the first to do it. I dont remember if 10 was like that. the way it was explained to me is that illustrator actually writes 2 types the AI and the PDF. even if you save a .pdf ( there really is no reason i see to save and AI anymore) you modify the PDF in acrobat that is why illustrator will ask to retain the changes in the PDF to the AI file.

…(there really is no reason i see to save and AI anymore) you modify the PDF in acrobat that is why illustrator will ask to retain the changes in the PDF to the AI file.

no no no … lol … pls don't start saving "only" pdf-files. if one gets into habit of saving only pdf-file … the operator could find they are stripping out some valuable modifying data … which could become lost in the kerfuffle. even "presets" carry similar dogma.

always "save as *.ai file" first … and then save a *.pdf "copy" by utilizing the "save copy as *.pdf file" feature afterward. if the "save as *.pdf file" is initiated … the resultant pdf-file will remain in the illustrator's interface … allowing/tempting the operator to edit the pdf-file rather than the ai-file.

realizing mellowyellow was just annotating, and was not serious … however, others on the internet read posts with one eye closed. and if that person get a notion inside their head … they could lose their job … and a company could lose it's clientele … all based upon misleading and provocative information.

always save as ai-file … and then save a copy as *.pdf (occasionally also as *.eps for outsource).

and, rvng … thanks for the tip about embedded image(s).

p.s. everyone's input was valued and appreciated … thanks.

no no no … lol … pls don't start saving "only" pdf-files. if one gets into habit of saving only pdf-file … the operator could find they are stripping out some valuable modifying data … which could become lost in the kerfuffle. even "presets" carry similar dogma.

always "save as *.ai file" first … and then save a *.pdf "copy" by utilizing the "save copy as *.pdf file" feature afterward. if the "save as *.pdf file" is initiated … the resultant pdf-file will remain in the illustrator's interface … allowing/tempting the operator to edit the pdf-file rather than the ai-file.

realizing mellowyellow was just annotating, and was not serious … however, others on the internet read posts with one eye closed. and if that person get a notion inside their head … they could lose their job … and a company could lose it's clientele … all based upon misleading and provocative information.

always save as ai-file … and then save a copy as *.pdf (occasionally also as *.eps for outsource).

and, rvng … thanks for the tip about embedded image(s).

p.s. everyone's input was valued and appreciated … thanks.

sorry I have been doing it for well over 10 years. Its is better and easier to deal with a PDF workflow keeping native PDFs.

Mello . . . been doing it for before pdf was a gleam in adobes eye . . . and you can give me the native files every time . . . since there is usually something they didn't bother to correct before they send me the pdf . . . at least its easier and safer to correct an ai file than to open a pdf in illy or pit stop to make changes . . .

Illustrator can write a native PDF. infact the AI is a modified PDF. so why keep both for a workflow. it is more problematic for housekeeping to have 2 files lingering. I convert all native AI files to a native illustration PDF file. the prepress in this shop has been doing it for about 10 years without issue. That is unless you open up the PDF in acrobat make changes then go back to illustrator which happens. So I do not see any reason to keep the AI file lingering around. The pdf goes through the workflow anyway so it is redundant too.

Illustrator can write a native PDF. infact the AI is a modified PDF. so why keep both for a workflow. it is more problematic for housekeeping to have 2 files lingering. I convert all native AI files to a native illustration PDF file. the prepress in this shop has been doing it for about 10 years without issue. That is unless you open up the PDF in acrobat make changes then go back to illustrator which happens. So I do not see any reason to keep the AI file lingering around. The pdf goes through the workflow anyway so it is redundant too.

Hello Mellow,

I get your point but I always feel much safer knowing there's an AI on file somewhere. Some of our files are 300mb in size but we need low res PDFs to email to clients. So the AI is always the live artwork and the PDF is the low res copy.

If you have a multi page PDF made from AI and someone edits it in Acrobat then you can loose all your artboards if you reopen in illustrator. I know we have dabbled with using PDF only projects but it has always ended in tears.

I believe the official view is that a PDF file is something you export from your finished artwork.

(...enter Dov stage left)
​​​

Thank you all for your comments.

I myself prefer having native files (whenever I can receive them) and creating PDF exclusively as a product for workflow. We were a beta test site for the first Apogee PDF workflow some 16 years ago, as a result I became very sensitive to having standardized (subsetted) PDF for workflow (RIP/Render friendly) separate from working files. I have followed the mantra ever since and never got into any trouble.

Every job folder I create keeps working files and Production PDF clearly distinctive, of course using file naming conventions, you know the drill. The result of my Apogee years has also left me sensitive to PDFx specs as well, as I said I don’t want to introduce any information to Renders that it cannot know what to do with. My PDF are generally always PDFx-4, I don’t get into trouble with this methodology thus far. I am leery about one file format for both; for it to be naturally editable and render friendly at the same time, seems suspect. Although I may be wrong in this view.

Thanks again all.

Yup-what RVNG said. Native files are prefered-you never know how the previous person exported the PDF-I'd rather do it myself.

hard to break habits for most people. its simple really you could go back and save out an unedited AI file if needed if you first played and saved in acrobat. you just have to click on dont save changes from acrobat.

Missing should be missing, right?

NO. It is NOT missing.

Can anyone shed light on how this works?

When saving in .ai format, you retain all your editability and transparency in your file. When you save your file as an .ai file, Illustrator includes a PDF 1.4 composite preview inside the file in an unflattened form.

So, you always get two files. When I worked for Enfocus, I recal early versions of PitStop where we could open and edit a PDF object, but at Save, you could open that PDF in Illustrator, and that change was NOT there.

As Leonard Rosenthol from Adobe will tell you - ILLUSTRATOR IS NOT A PDF FILE EDITOR

want more ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Illustrator_Artwork

The AI file format was originally a native format called PGF. PDF compatibility is achieved by embedding a complete copy of the PGF data within the saved PDF format file. This format is not related to .pgf using the same name Progressive Graphics Format.[SUP][5][/SUP]

The same “dual path” approach as for PGF is used when saving EPS-compatible files in recent versions of Illustrator. Early versions of the AI file format are true EPS files with a restricted, compact syntax, with additional semantics represented by Illustrator-specific DSC comments that conform to DSC's Open Structuring Conventions. These files are identical to their corresponding Illustrator EPS counterparts, but with the EPS procsets (procedure sets) omitted from the file and instead externally referenced using %%Include directives.

Hope this helps. Not really a cool trick. Just am amazing technology and file format from Adobe.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back