Densitometer headscratching

Slammer

It´s one of these things where you know you are getting old.
Gretag MacBeth D19C, as far as I am concerned still cutting edge technology, as far as everybody else, mainly X-rite, is concerned something Herr Sennefelder was using back in the day.
It seems that there are no calibrations charts for the D19C to be had anywhere on the planet, however if I dredge the oil sump in my brain I seem to remember that in a pinch you can use the CMYK solids on a IT-chart, does anybody else remember that workaround?

just an idea:

If you know/find the original Lab-Values of the chart, try to print them with an eight-coulored inkjet.... ;-)

Ulrich

Last edited:
In the same situation as Slammer. I went down a different route - measured some solid patches with a spectrophotometer (EFI ES-2000/ i1 Pro2) and converted them to densities using BabelColor CT&A application. After that calibrated the D19C to those values measuring the same patches.

Maybe a bit off-topic but does anyone know how to unlock new functions on a Gretag Macbeth D19C densitometer? What's the password? On my D19C the plate reading function is unavailable - locked and it would really come in handy.

In the same situation as Slammer. I went down a different route - measured some solid patches with a spectrophotometer (EFI ES-2000/ i1 Pro2) and converted them to densities using BabelColor CT&A application. After that calibrated the D19C to those values measuring the same patches.

Maybe a bit off-topic but does anyone know how to unlock new functions on a Gretag Macbeth D19C densitometer? What's the password? On my D19C the plate reading function is unavailable - locked and it would really come in handy.
We still have the original calibration sheet in its lightproof envelope, it expired in 2001 but I work on the principle that if it hasn't been exposed to light for long periods, it shouldn't have changed too much.
The password is locked to the serial number of the device. When we purchased extra functions for ours, we quoted the serial number and they sent us an unlock code and instructions on how to use it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back