Direct laser engraving

Greg G

Hello,

Any adopters of DLE technology for flexo plates?? What are the pros and cons of this technology?? To me it seems a win win situation, plates with first generation dots, and eliminating time, intermediate steps and solvent wash of conventional methods.

Do they make equipment specifically for that usage? I can't imagine that would be enjoyable to do: considering the horrid mess that laser engraving rubber stamps makes within the unit... I'm sure I could harden some emulsion and then throw in the engraver and get something that worked but that seems like an emergency type situation, simply because of the mess.

Yes, Fuji, Kodak, Hell, Stork are some of the manufacturers of DLE equipment.
It is a more efficient way of exposing a flexo plate or sleeve and does away with many intermediate steps.
LAM plate making involves a polymer plate: back exposure - laser imaging - main exposure - solvent developing - drying - post exposure - curing, before the plate is ready.
DLE plate making involves an elastomer plate: laser engraving - washing, plate is ready.

Technical advantages I see are custom shoulder profiles, dot width, undercut and more robust plate which all translate to a better print, and a huge time saving.

I'm interested to hear any comments from anyone who has embraced this technology and if there are any cons to this new process.

Yes, Fuji, Kodak, Hell, Stork are some of the manufacturers of DLE equipment.
It is a more efficient way of exposing a flexo plate or sleeve and does away with many intermediate steps.
LAM plate making involves a polymer plate: back exposure - laser imaging - main exposure - solvent developing - drying - post exposure - curing, before the plate is ready.
DLE plate making involves an elastomer plate: laser engraving - washing, plate is ready.

Technical advantages I see are custom shoulder profiles, dot width, undercut and more robust plate which all translate to a better print, and a huge time saving.

I'm interested to hear any comments from anyone who has embraced this technology and if there are any cons to this new process.

As its been a while since you started the thread, I was wondering if you (Greg G) had delved into this yourself and whether you can recommend DLE? I've been doing a bit of reading and it would suggest that what you were previously saying was correct and there are advantages to using this process.

Thanks.

Hi Mandim,

It's been difficult to gather real world data. The only two disadvantages of DLE I can see is:
that of the initial capital outlay for this technology versus the the old tech which may be putting people off and resistance to change. However, prices seem to have come down for DLE units.
and parallel production - with the other systems, plates can be exposed while others are being washed while others are being dried and cured all at the same time. DLE is more of a serial process, one plate exposed at a time.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back