SM 52 Manual or video.. Desperate help appreciated...

acacia print

Is anyone able to help in regards to the Heidelberg SM 52?

I am about to do a press test on a Heidelberg SM 52 and although I have used similar systems as found on this press while running Rolland's I have never run a SM 52 before.

I want to read up as much as I can before I go next week for a press test/interview. I have tried You Tube and learnt a bit, but most videos are of guys aimlessly wandering around it while it runs flat out. Or its in Spanish.....

If someone could scan and send me some of, or the whole of a SM 52 manual that would give me some night reading to get up to speed, or if you know of a video on You Tube that I might have missed that is helpful I would really really appreciate:confused: the help.. I asked Heidelberg and they cant help much but sympathised with my plight.

My email address is [email protected]

The machine is not on sight. I am travelling two hours there and two back while I shut up my current shop for the whole day (sole operator) to test the machine next week. The current operator in that town will be there which will help show me the ropes, but I need to be up to speed more than I am as this is more than just a social visit.. there are urgent imperatives and reasons for doing so, shall we say...

I am hoping to at least be able to print off and read the basic control panel operation's.... more if at all possible... but that would put my mind at lease some...

Hi Ret Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately I don't yet run the SM 52, I actually need a copy only to learn the basics from for an appointment that is critical for our family, that takes place in only a few days. I mainly require the copy of the control panel and an explanation so that I can familiarise myself with the positioning of the icons and the presses general operation.

This is a critical juncture for my wife and I to ensure we survive. I am trying to learn as much about this press as I can before I get to it. You Tube is limited on showing the technical side of things unfortunately.. Just had a thought, Maybe someone with one of these presses could post a You Tube video and send/post the link for me, explaining the controls (In English) if someone was keen to help a Kiwi from NZ and had the time... a long shot I know. But I know that on long runs some guys get board and with smart phones its not that hard.... but it would be a huge help to myself and my wife far more than I can say right now...

The press as I understand it is a two colour stream-fed press. With numbering and perforating. That's about all I can find out for now.... It looks similar to Rolland presses that I have run but it is not exactly the same as a GTO which I also have run. So I am desperate to impress, for my family's sake I need to go for this opportunity like my life depended on it, which in many ways it may.

Any help is very much appreciated, even just moral support..

Not trying to sound negative, but it sounds like you are going for an interview with the view to become full time on this press.
It wouldn't take long for management to realise your not up to speed on the machine, if you haven't run it before and have just learnt the basic buttons to press.
Many print companies are willing to take on an operator that hasn't run their specific machine IF they can show sufficient experience in the field and on similar machines. So perhaps honesty is the best way to go pre interview.

If you go into the interview & press trial with the company thinking you have run such a machine, you may well leave them questioning your experience if your fumbling for what buttons to press.
If you can show them a portfolio of your previous print material and work history and it's explained to them that you have run similar machines and will be able to pick up the running of this press in short time, they could then take a different view during the press trial. Pressing buttons plays only a small part in getting high quality print off the machine, it is inevitably the machinist and his knowledge of print that produces the quality.

I have no experience on the SM machines so can't offer any info on them, but wish you all the best for the position

Lukew

Thank you for your input, You are 100% right and everything that you have suggested I had already done, minus putting together a portfolio.
I have been very upfront and the chap actually knows myself very well and my situation so everything is open. Despite that I am in with a chance of this turning into something very good and long term hopefully. I have run other presses very similar and the main press operator will be there to run it with me. The job entails much more than just running the press thankfully and I am well skilled in all other areas which makes me possibly a top contender, but that assumes that others are not in a similar position which may not be the case. I really want this opportunity to work for this chap as he is well organised and we think very similarly. So I am going hard out to give myself EVERY advantage that I can. I am confident that I can run the press with little overlap, I have excellent print/ink control skills and understanding and a wide understanding of the work involved from artwork right through to dispatch. But it would be a shame for me to basically look like a "#(#&$" because I am fumbling some buttons due to the icons being a little different to the Rolland's that I have run before. Even the older GTO's I ran didn't have a lot of modern icon related buttons so I cant draw on that for much of a point of reference. In the end I think I will still be able to impress but I am not leaving anything to chance.

Thanks for the support. Let me know if you think of any other advice that would help win the day...

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

I can forward you some info that might help but I have to agree with Lukew that you may not be able to bluff your way though an interview. The Rolland press and Heidelberg press is completely different.I will forward you some information at your e-mail address.

Thankn you Ret !! You are now a legend! Thank you Sooo Much. This will help immensely!! I wish I could meet you in person to convey what this means to myself and my wife. I have been a tradesman for 25+ years and I have never been so pleased in my life to see an operations manual...

If you think of anything else that I might need to cover or learn let me know, or forward any other helpful material or links. This will give me some serious reading over the weekend. I need to be up to speed as much as I can by Wednesday morning. I was mildly worried about the day a little, now after a quick flick through the manual you sent I am twice as worried (Joke). If I miss out on this opportunity though I will know exactly what I am missing out on and be disappointed, but in the end it will be what it will be. I love running quality presses and what I have now is very very old and on its last legs. So this is a big big thing for us to look at.

As for bluffing my way through.. you are right, A tradesman will spot a fake at fifty feet just by looking at their fingernails. I have been upfront already. So in some ways I am hoping that he is expecting me to be not all that great on the press as I am unfamiliar with that, maybe with cunning I can actually impress...?. If I can familiarise myself with the material you sent I am sure that this will at least see me understanding what I should be doing. Just trying to be as professional about this as I can before I get there so that I can hit the floor knowing something. The good news is that press operation is only a part of the jobs requirements but it is a major component.

Ret's manual has covered the main points I am looking for, thanks Ret, but if anyone has the official operators manual available that would possibly give that little more detail and insight. Ret's book certainly covers what I was most worried about for sure.. I don't need the technical one, and those are copyrighted anyway, just the operators manual.

Anyone come across a good informative You Tube video on the SM 52??

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back