Ab Dick delivery problem

snoozer

I have a AB dick 375 , having a problem with 11x17 sheet ,the grippers are letting the sheet fall too late causing it to jam at the end , I have worked on a Heidelburg GTO and they have a fine adjustment for letting the sheet drop at any given point ,is there a adjustment for this problem on the ab dick press ? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, the adjustment is at the end of the delivery. There's a cam there you can adjust. Just hand feed a sheet and roll it to the cam and watch where the grippers are opening up. Then adjust accordingly.

Yes, the adjustment is at the end of the delivery. There's a cam there you can adjust. Just hand feed a sheet and roll it to the cam and watch where the grippers are opening up. Then adjust accordingly.

Hello I checked at the end, and the only adjustment was the chain tension adjustment, is it only one cam or two, is it located on the gear side or operator side of the press ? Thanks again.

Just look at the cam follower on the gripper bar and find the cam that operates it . . . there should be an adjustment on it . . . .

The adjustment is on the operator side under the chain delivery cover.

Just look at the cam follower on the gripper bar and find the cam that operates it . . . there should be an adjustment on it . . . .

I have a AB dick 375 , having a problem with 11x17 sheet ,the grippers are letting the sheet fall too late causing it to jam at the end , I have worked on a Heidelburg GTO and they have a fine adjustment for letting the sheet drop at any given point ,is there a adjustment for this problem on the ab dick press ? Any help would be appreciated.

The 375 does not have an adjustable cam at the delivery end of the chain delivery. That is on the newer style 9800 series presses. Your only choice is to adjust the follower on each gripper bar. To adjust, loosen the screw holding the follower to the shaft on the gripper bar. Check to see if the follower roller and the stud it is mounted on are in good shape. I have seen the studs come loose where they are penned to the follower. Turn the gripper bar to, a position that you can see the follower from the top. Loosen the screw and raise the follower slightly and it will cause the cam to open the gripper sooner. Make only small changes to the follower. Always turn the handwheel and visually check to see the results. Good luck.

Hello:
Thanks for the info, Guess the 375 is different than the 9800 series,do you have to do these adjustments every time you go to a 11x17 inch sheet or will it cause issues running 81/2 x 11. I have no issues with any other size paper. Will wait for your reply before I go and try these adjustments. Do you have any experience with crestline water systems ,like replacing the pan roller.
Thanks again for your info !

Once it is set it should work for all sheet sizes. To adjust for average work, bring the gripper to the delivery end so that the ends rest on top of the chain pulleys. The follower should be opening the gripper fingers to the maximum and you should be able to look down and see how far the cam has opened them. By loosening the locking hex screw on the follower the grippers will probably close from the spring tension. Hold the follower on the cam and manually open the grippers to the desired position and tighten the screw. More opening will allow the sheet to drop sooner and not go up with the gripper bar as it makes the turn around the chain pulley. I find that for most work, that if I can see an opening of a sixteenth of an inch between the very tip of the finger and the inside edge of the anvil as I look straight down. The inside edge of the anvil isthat edge nearest the impression cylinder. Do that for each gripper bar.

There should be a curved guide attached to the safety screen pivot shaft. It is intended to deflect sheets down as the grippers release the sheet. The backstop passes between the guide. If this part is missing or deformed, it could contribute to delivery trouble. If necessary, use a zip tie and wrap it snugly around the screen shaft so it extends toward the gripper bar. Trim it so it just clears the gripper bar but can deflect the sheet downward.

Sorry I cannot help you with the with the Crestline pan roller. It has been too long. I have done many Kompac systems. You have to remove Kompac from the press to change the form and/or metering rollers.
I hope it all works well for you.

tomtech

Hello - I believe that if you adjust the angle of the grippers, you will affect the "pick- up" on the cylinder end (I have several old AB Dicks with the fixed delivery systems). Snoozer - what we have done in the past is to (tape) something on the cam bar/plate so that it hits the cam follower sooner. Ours were very crude setups, but I know what you are fighting with. We basically taped some card stock so that it opened the grippers sooner. You "adjust" by smashing it a bit more! Good luck! - Bill

Adjusting the position of the cam follower on each gripper should do the job without trying to use paper to increase the height of the cam.

Snoozer - I just remembered another trick we sometimes use with our AB Dick 385 (no adjustable delivery either!) when we have paper that really "floats" a lot. Get a low powered fan, make some sort of little holder, and put it above the paper blowing down. We just fabricate a little carboard 'tunnel'. Works great! Fancy presses have blow down features. Well, you can make your own turbo blown-down!

Regard - BG

i have service manual for a.b.dick for DYF
contact me [email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back