ManRoland 300 4 color - Ink Unit Split setting

It helps, when thinking about rollers used to integrate certain continuous dampeners to the ink train, to consider the plate cylinder to be just another dampening roller. The path between the dampening form roller and the ink train is much shorter across the plate surface than it is by continuing around the water form roller to the integrating roller, then around most of its circumference before contacting the ink system. A case could be made that the plate removes most of the water presented to it by the form roller leaving little water for transport across a bridge roller. When I was younger (and hence invincible) I spent many hours attempting to measure the amount of water on a bridge roller and was unable to appreciably dampen the little cotton roller I was using. This was done to test a press manufacturers assertion that by running integrated there was a change in the amount of water offered to the ink system, an assertion that looked then (and now) to have little to support it. The primary value of these bridge rollers is to allow washing the dampener with the ink train, an advantage of dubious value if the roller wash contains ingredients incompatable with fountain solution properties.

The primary value of these bridge rollers is to allow washing the dampener with the ink train, an advantage of dubious value if the roller wash contains ingredients incompatable with fountain solution properties.
When you wash the inking rollers integrated on Heidelberg Presses, the metering roller and pan rollers are not in contact with the dampening form roller and ink train, so there is a very little chance of roller wash to contaminating the fountain solution.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back