Speedmaster 102Z Ink Ductor question

JerryJames

The ink ductor preset on the 2nd color of our 2 color press keeps drifting upwards during a run. It creeps gradually 2 or 3 points every few minutes. We've had the side off to test voltage at the motor, and it operates freely and without hesitation.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

What year is the press? Check the adjusting mechanism of the ink fountain roller sweep, there is a guide block in the mechanism, it should be free of any play. Before doing this observe any movement or play in production run. be careful when doing this as you need to open the cover of the o.s to check.
Also check the brake of the fountain roller. It can also be a problem of your potentiometer.

as aqazi mentioned you should be looking at the in fountain roller brake. I make it a habit to be sure that the handle thats used to pump up the fountain roller is always oriented towards the feeder of the press on all printing units. If it still creeps on you you may want to verify the brake issue by squirting a little solvent into the brake area so that it can gain some friction.

We run into this issue from time to time. Sounds like you have checked the right things, voltage on the motor and the fountain roller brake. We've found when the sweep creeps up 2-3 points every few minutes it's the gear box/spindle for the ink sweep. As Aquazi81 said you have to watch the ink sweep gear box with OS cover open, if the sweep moves up then the gear box (Heidelberg call this a "Swing Piece") has play and needs to be shimmed. I mark the larger white gear and the arm and watch to see it it moves.

To shim the gear box you need to disassemble, the shims are inserted at the small needle thrust bearings (part#00.550.0097) and the axel bearing disk (00.550.0541) at the end of the spindle gear the box rides up and down on.

00.510.0418, 00.580.0440, 00.510.0764 00.510.0446 are the shim part numbers, I usually buy 2-3 each and shim until the box is snug.

Also, before you do that you could try this: Heidelberg now sells a "clamp". I don't have the part number in front of me but it's a little two piece spring clamp that fits below small gear at the top of the spindle, clamps to the spindle providing enough pressure to keep the sweep from moving. The clamp is expensive but takes 5 minutes to put in, to us it's worth it to buy the clamp and not take a press down. If I find the part# I'll post it.

good luck

Mike

test the bearing and lube very well. of course test the wiring cables, for loose, dirty, oxide, and carbon brushes. you must have the wiring diagram for to make the o.k test.
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back