Stainless steel roller in a press roller train.

• Thread starter Deleted member 16349
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16349

Does anyone know if stainless steel rollers have been used in press roller trains?

If so, are there any issues with ink receptivity of a stainless steel roller with the ink/water emulsion on the press rollers?

Thanks for any comments.

Stainless Steel should not be used in a Litho printing press inking roller train, - it is a Oleophobic Metal

Thanks.

This is the kind of problem I suspected. I imagined that ink stripping off the roller due to water would happen but wasn't sure. I think some ink fountain rollers are stainless steel but that ink should not have much water in it but could.

I would guess if a stainless steel roller was used and had a copper plated coating, then that should be OK.

There are other possible coatings. Does anyone know if anodized surfaces would be OK?

Possibly other chemical treatments would also be OK.

I would be interested if anyone knows of other types of treatments/coatings on stainless steel or even other steels would work for roller train rollers.

I am trying to avoid nylon.

Thanks again for any comments.

Hello Erik,

Don't waste your time searching for a substitute - Stay with Copper Plated/ Rilsan coated rollers (vibrators)

Regards, Alois

Probably best to go with what has worked before.

I am now leaning towards copper plated surface, since I plan to have a pattern machined into the surface of the roller.

Thanks again.

I never thought I'd hear you say that! LOL ;-)

:)

It does sound strange but it isn't. Most people involved with innovation try to reduce risks as much as possible. The specific use of the roller I am looking at would probably not be a problem if it was stainless steel but why should one introduce an unknown factor that just might cause a problem or at least cause doubt. It is not worth the risk at this time. Even if this roller had ink stripped off, it would still work as needed, but it would look strange.

The ITB has been tested in four different presses with different inks and substrates and has always worked but I still would not say that it is a production ready technology. It would be too risky to say it was ready because there could be issues that have not come up yet. It has to still be proven and I would prefer that a press manufacturer did it. Demonstrated and proven are quite different situations.

I worked on an old Harris 60" press in the 70's and a few other old Harris models that had stainless steel rollers in the ink train. They were subject to stripping and we had to treat them with a vile smelling substance called Senefix.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Hi Erik, I think the best option is either Rilsan nylon or HDP (plastic) because they won't erode with use. Copper will begin to erode from the chemistries being used in the press, and will get desensitized over time. HDP repels water, and therefore has the best ink affinity. Nylon also has excellent ink affinity, and is preferable in water-cooled units. All 3 coatings are good, but you need to determine the best covering for the application. As well, they can all be made locally.

HDP repels water, and therefore has the best ink affinity. As well, they can all be made locally.

Hi Brian, thanks.

Is HDP, high density polyethylene? Or is it some other plastic. Since this roller is for testing, long term considerations are not so urgent.

I would think that locally here in the Toronto area, there are probably many sources for coating that my machine shop can use. At least I hope so.

Erik, here is a material that performs as good as copper or Rilsan and is quite a bit cheaper. I believe Rotadyne Roller in Toronto can cover a roller in this material. They would have to send out for Rilsan/Nylon or copper but can do this covering in Toronto. They may also be able to supply Ebonite covering also, this is harder than Rilsan and and is also available from Toronto. Hope this helps Cheers

http://www.ethylene.com/armorlith.php

Last edited:
Erik, here is a material that performs as good as copper or Rilsan and is quite a bit cheaper. I believe Rotadyne Roller in Toronto can cover a roller in this material. They would have to send out for Rilsan/Nylon or copper but can do this covering in Toronto. They may also be able to supply Ebonite covering also, this is harder than Rilsan and and is also available from Toronto. Hope this helps Cheers

http://www.ethylene.com/armorlith.php

Thanks for the information. Looks interesting. It just might be very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow Lithographers,

We need to remember on todays High-speed Presses (Sheet-fed/Web Offset Presses) with temperature controlled cooling of the

Inking System Roller Train, the de facto choice is Copper Plated water cooled vibrators with its superior heat transfer properties.

Regards, Alois

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back