4th unit blues

No one said you couldn't grasp it tb. But do you have the breadth of experience as previously mentioned and a practical concise understanding of ink chemistry / formulation to be a true pillar? Perhaps.

D

Ill stack my years of actually doing the job, under virtually all sheetfed conditions, for numerous prestigeous companies against any tech rep I've ever come across. The reason for this is twofold... Number one i possess a working, not a laboratory knowledge, of all the components of the process. Not just the ink, or just the paper as many tech reps specialize in one or another. The second reason is that I have no horse in the race. When employed to either run a press or to supervise a pressroom my compensation is based purely on results. Im not there to sell anything but my abilities, and its of little interest to me who's product I purchase. Now granted that last part would have to change if employed by say an ink company, but the actual experience doing day in and day out travels with me everywhere I go. Even into retirement. Perhaps the attitude you see here is as a result of one too many Johnny come lately tech reps as described by you in an earlier post. What remains is a don't tell me but show me attitude that I feel in most cases far exceeds the average tech reps I've encountered. Knowing there are exceptions to the rule I will give you the benefit of the doubt and accept you for the qualified person you claim to be but in return please offer me the same curtesy.

Last edited:
I never claimed to be a qualified person. All you can judge from me is the contributions I have offered here in discussions at Print Planet. I will dare say, that all me responses are not gospel and should be interrupted as such. It is just based on experience with a successful outcome that I offer opinion to the forums.

Per your final statement request, I shall offer you your request for curtesy.

D

Being Professional
I want to remind everyone that this is a forum for seeking and dispensing professional knowledge to assist our fellow craft persons. We should all strive to uphold the highest personal and professional standards. Writing comments that are personal attacks speak more about the person making the attacks than the subject of the attacks.

Let's all keep in mind that no one wants to be involved in other people's petty quarrels. Such behavior detracts from what we are all trying to accomplish here. Some of us have more experience than others and sharing this experience with those who have less is what PrintPlanet is all about. So, I ask you all to please be both cordial and professional in your posts.

Thank you.

Well said Mr White. When you see a couple of people basically attacking each other you tend to feel that you too will get drawn in to the argument if you try and contribute to the post.

Please members forgive my rant. There comes times when I need to be reminded that my fingers can move faster than better judgement. Point taken and appreciated prwhite.

and for the record I've had a private conversation with Dinkman and we are both in agreement that this is nothing more than spirited discussion. My regret is that I've moved away from the original post and distracted others.

Last edited:
so at what point in that evolutionary process does the tech rep actually become competent? Wouldn't you agree that the process begins somewhere? How bout actual experience in a production setting as opposed to a twice a year visit to a shop when theres trouble, where a bunch of fancy measuring devices are pulled out resulting in more questions than answers? Ive seen my fair share of tech reps that come in and do nothing but point fingers at the other vendors. And some of them were even seasoned veterans. Forgive me for questioning the competence of a guy that worked his way up through the ranks of bullshit salesman/bullshit artist. You know the old adage... those that know do. those that don't teach.

With due respect to everyone in this discussion...
I have been working for a pressroom chemicals and ink supplier for a year now, before that I worked as a pressman for 15 years.
I must say that I have learned much more in just one year than as a pressman for many years.
Each day I learn something new in a totally different environment and under different circumstances.

But I find it much easier than my job as a pressman, where you have to take care of many problems simultaneously whole day, rather than just solving a specific issue on a service call.

With due respect to everyone in this discussion...
I have been working for a pressroom chemicals and ink supplier for a year now, before that I worked as a pressman for 15 years.
I must say that I have learned much more in just one year than as a pressman for many years.
Each day I learn something new in a totally different environment and under different circumstances.

But I find it much easier than my job as a pressman, where you have to take care of many problems simultaneously whole day, rather than just solving a specific issue on a service call.

I don't doubt that for one second Aquazi, but wouldn't you agree that without your 15 years of practical experience working with the product your learning curve as a tech rep would not have been quite so brisk?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back