Fixing electrical boards

NicolasD

Is it possible?

I have a Heidelberg SM74 and every now and then, we experience problem with the electrical boards. We usually buy new ones and the malfunctioning ones pile up.
I now have three boards not working properly. I have attached the picture of the worst one.

Is it possible to fix these boards ?

Attachments

• photo4822.jpg
    photo4822.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 189
In theory it's doable but the board has to be checked for further damage in that area ... this multilayer PCB may be beyond repair. The blown circuit is an obsolete bidirectional 4-channel interface but there is a modern equivalent alas very hard to find.
If previous EAK's failed like this one you may need to call someone to properly inspect the machine as the cause may be elsewhere.

Most electronic boards are fixed here in Pakistan locally unless the damage is irreparable.

I have sucessfully repaired computer PCB's (Printed Circuit Boards) years ago without having any electrical knowledge or background. What you need is an Ohm Meter and, a seconday (working) board. It's tedious, but, it can be done. Methodically test point-to-point on the "good" board, and, see if you get the same readings, on the same two points of the "bad" board. When you find a reading on the bad board, that, doesn't match the same point-to-point reading on the good board, you've isolated the componet that has gone bad. Depending on the type of componet, you can buy that single componet from an electrical supply store (usually very inexpensive). Then, using a soldering iron to remove the bad componet, and, replace with the good one. Then, continue point-to-point comparisons & replacements (there may be multiple components that have burned out).
This process can take days, or weeks. The real question is: "why would you want to go through so much hassle and tedious work, when, you can just simply buy a new board and replace?"

-Best
MailGuru

I have sucessfully repaired computer PCB's (Printed Circuit Boards) years ago without having any electrical knowledge or background. What you need is an Ohm Meter and, a seconday (working) board. It's tedious, but, it can be done. Methodically test point-to-point on the "good" board, and, see if you get the same readings, on the same two points of the "bad" board. When you find a reading on the bad board, that, doesn't match the same point-to-point reading on the good board, you've isolated the componet that has gone bad. Depending on the type of componet, you can buy that single componet from an electrical supply store (usually very inexpensive). Then, using a soldering iron to remove the bad componet, and, replace with the good one. Then, continue point-to-point comparisons & replacements (there may be multiple components that have burned out).
This process can take days, or weeks. The real question is: "why would you want to go through so much hassle and tedious work, when, you can just simply buy a new board and replace?"

-Best
MailGuru
Thanks MailGuru, this is what we'll do.
I wish we could just buy a new one, they are very expensive

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back