Do you run the Heidelberg SM-52 Anicolor press

Ret heidelberg inst
Can the nip between my anilox and my ink form roller make my density increase while in production
Thks

As per Alois we also used an infrared temp sensor and found that it matched the temp exactly as what was on the monitor on my press. I use Saphira 221 Fountain Solution as an Etch and Saphira Alcohol Replacement 321 as a Sub. We do not use any alcohol in our plant. We use mostly Wikoff ink but keep Saphira ink on hand. I doubt that your nip pressure is causing your density problem. Make sure your chamber blades are seated squarely and not worn out.

I just like to make sure that this will work on the SM-52 Anicolor? So I can give this to our press operator. I know that I stared this up for help on that press and you have all helped a lot. The pressman now runs with the (vario system) on he did not before so keep the good ideas coming.

The original press operator retired and did not have a lot of time to teach the replacement press operator a lot about the press.

thanks

Last edited:
Michael
I know that my press was the first press in the USA to have the 10 cell anilox roller. All prev presses had the 8 cell. I have found on my press that it is critical to have the vario on at all times. I even have printed #10 envelopes with them on. Also there are 5 rollers including the pan roller that should be checked. It almost seems like they may have to much of a squeeze resulting in less water transfering to the plate. At the end of every week we put on Recycl 2000 on the anilox rollers and leave it on until Monday morning to keep the cells open and clean. These are just a couple things that come to mind as far as what the pressman could do. It seems like something is extremely out of adjustment given the pic you provided showing 51% ink and 90% water. You most likely still have press curve problem too.

Its funny that here in Illinois there was a gentleman by the name of George who was a folder operator that came from a print co in Orlando. He has since returned to Orlando about a year ago. He mentioned to me that the co he came from had a SM 52 also.
anilox roller with each week? Right now they do not.
CELL-CLEAN PLUS DEEP CLEANING ANILOX ROLL CLEANER

And then should they put this on for the weekend​
(Recycl 2000) I can not find it who makes it?

www.recyl.com. Its called Recyl- Clean 2000 Maintenance. For ceramic chrome and doctor rolls. I'm not sure you have a problem with them being plugged given your provided photo of ink and water settings. But its still good to do this cleaning at least twice a month. You can also send your roller off to be deep cleaned professionally. Heildelberg recommends this I think once a year although I have never done this because we are not having any color issues. The Clean 2000 is sufficent for us. I'm hoping your situation improved since using the vario.

I read up on both products and both do the same for the anilox rollers so now they will clean with (PPCTS) at the end of the week. This is what they have on the shelf that they did not used. I know you are right about the ink and water settings I am not sure what to do on that.

Michael,
Another thing I've thought of that should be checked is the temp of your foutain solution water in the technotrans. My temp is set at 55 degrees. It should be cool to the touch. You can obtain this reading on the monitor and the display of the technotrans. I have had it happen to me that the trans quit chilling the water and it became very warm and caused major problems.

No Title

thanks for that the temp looks like it ts set at 60 look at the photos

Attachments

• photo5324.jpg
    photo5324.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 286
  • photo5325.jpg
    photo5325.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 265
  • photo5326.jpg
    photo5326.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
The color is good with the extra cut back I have put in on the curves. We put in (-7 for the Blk,Mag,Cyan and -12 on the yell. we had the calibration curves set with a gray balance. I thought you told me that the chiller should be (55F) and it looks like we have it at (60.1)?

5 degrees at that point is not big deal. If you want they could adjust it to 55 but I doubt you will see a diff.

they will read up onhow to reset the temp and go from there. this is good 2 down and the press should run better.

Dampening Problem.

I despair !!!!

Why are you all mesmerized by numbers displayed on the Press Consol.........

GO and LOOK at the plate - is it running "Shiny" or ?????

HOW do think litho printers, long before "Press Displays" knew how much Dampening

they were running !!!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Alois

Good question Alois., I am in prepress and in prepress I deal with numbers all the time just numbers. With the front end Nexus with calibration software Symphony Calibrator and in prepress pagination DynaStrip with Agfa Apogee CTP this is all I do now all day.

Last edited:
Hello fellows!
We also have density issue with SM52-4 Anicolor. Rollers are 8-9-8-8. Densities are too high, especially Cyan and Black. I wonder if it's possible to decrease screened rollers temperature lower than 20deg. C?
What the form roller temperature is responsible for? Can we decrease form roller and dampening solution temp in order to decrease ink density?
Can we change ink transfer by changing rubber blanket and packing of the form roller?

Also we have mottled halftones but i think it's cause of densities are too high.

This double cut back works for us!!! and it may not work for you on your press. We do this because our press has been like this from the beginning. I could never get the right calibration curves to work. I think the inks are to dark or the press needs to be reset. In the beginning a Heidelberg color Tech stopped by and was talking about the calibration curves and gave us notes on this type of cut backs for the press. This is what we do (-7% on the Black,Magenta,) (cyan -7 to -9) and (-12% to -15 on the yellow).

Attachments

• double cut.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I do not know if your prepress Dept color management has this for the Anicolor It should help.

Attachments

• Anicolor SM-52.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 319
Hello fellows!
We also have density issue with SM52-4 Anicolor. Rollers are 8-9-8-8. Densities are too high, especially Cyan and Black. I wonder if it's possible to decrease screened rollers temperature lower than 20deg. C?
What the form roller temperature is responsible for? Can we decrease form roller and dampening solution temp in order to decrease ink density?
Can we change ink transfer by changing rubber blanket and packing of the form roller?

Also we have mottled halftones but i think it's cause of densities are too high.

I would try to run your screen temps in the 32.5 celsius range. I have found that if you run your temp to cold or to hot you begin to have ink water balance issues especially on long runs. I do not believe you can go below 20 C anyway. I believe the ink form and screen roller temps are the same. The ink form roller packing is a sheet of mylar with adhesive on one side that is gllued to the cylinder. I would not change or add packing to that. I think your ink is too strong and may need to have your supplier work with you on reformulating. Michael had the best idea so far. Recalibrating curves is possibly your best option next to ink density. If your ink is formulated correctly you should be able to adjust your temps to 32.5 C and reach optimum density in a perfect world. Doesn't usually happen though.

We have a technician from Heidelberg working on the (speedmaster-74) and the sm-52 just went down. They will order the part but not sure how to put it in. How do you take out and change the (1st unit impression jacket on the sm-52 anicolor). we can not get a break on this press.

I would sure like someone else to try and confirm what we did makes sense.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back