Dot distortion – what is acceptable?

cementary

Friends!

I've got a question which bothers me quite some time.
Preface (short). Recently we've bought an usb-microscope and found out that our printed dot is very distorted. We're just cryed out – whohaa, that's the key to our unstable dot gain problem.
Some time later we're made a big test using different founts/blankets/inks combinations (not so big, really, just what our supplier was able to supplied us with).
Printer – sheetfed manRoland 705 LV, exellent mechanical condition approved by serviceman. Tests were made in absolutely same condition (even same pressman). The only differece – ink/fount/blanket. Linear forms, real round dot, 200 lpi

So here two pictures. What we've start with:
what we've start with.jpg

And the best result for today:
best result for today.jpg

So, the question(s) which bothers me: is this result is good enough? And how bad was what we're start with?

Cementary,

Halftone Dot Fidelity result (A) Awful !

(B) Not much better !

You are Printing Snowflaky Dots !

Try and obtain LTF Star Target and print a series of them with a Print Control Strip

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Tue Jun 28 15-54-22.jpg
    Tue Jun 28 15-54-22.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Tue Jun 28 15-54-15.jpg
    Tue Jun 28 15-54-15.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Tue Jun 28 15-54-22.jpg
    Tue Jun 28 15-54-22.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 139
Cementary,

A quick check of the Plate Dampening Level...... YOU should see a thin 1 or 2 mm wide - Even Scum Line on the Lead Edge/Bend of the Plate

across the plate width.

Regards, Alois

Cementary,

A quick check of the Plate Dampening Level...... YOU should see a thin 1 or 2 mm wide - Even Scum Line on the Lead Edge/Bend of the Plate

across the plate width.

Regards, Alois
Yep, we see it at every press /every section. Every print for test were made from scum level, e.g. water down to scumming appears – then 1-2 percent on ductor up.

Cementary,

Halftone Dot Fidelity result (A) Awful !

(B) Not much better !

You are Printing Snowflaky Dots !
Regards, Alois

Alois, do you have images with good, not so "snoflaky dots", 200 lpi? Maybe anyone else have?
I agree that (A) is awful, but i see difference between (A) and (B). There is a 10% difference in dot gain (50% patch) so i'm confused – i thought that was a lot better.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back