MakeReady on SM 102-2

Andriy G.

Hi everyone !

Need some advice to Heidelberg 102-2 makeready time.
Whether to include wash up in makeready time or just changing plates, adjusting print pressures and setting up inking ?

Are there any averaged normatives for makeready for this type of presses ?
I have some vision of this processes but printers do not agreed with me))

thank in advance for help me!

Best regards,

Andriy Getmanets
Dyz Art
Lviv, Ukaine

Make ready times depend on the type of press and automation level.
If you are working on an old press you need more time then a new model with many things being done automatically.
Wash up time is included if the new job is of different colors then previous job and you need to prepare the units for new colors.
On a typical two color press if you need to change colors e.g after cyan+Magenta you need to put Black+Yellow and this takes time, specially if the roller conditions are not optimum, wash up takes more time.
On conventional old presses that I worked on it takes half an hour to 45 min to make ready a job after changing colors.
If you do not need to change colors then its 15 min to change plates and quick register.
Change of substrate and substrate size also takes some time on old presses.

I hope this helps.

Asif Qazi

Last edited:
Make ready times depend on the type of press and automation level.
If you are working on an old press you need more time then a new model with many things being done automatically.
Wash up time is included if the new job is of different colors then previous job and you need to prepare the units for new colors.
On a typical two color presses if you need to change colors e.g after cyan+Magenta you need to put Black+Yellow and this takes time, specially if the roller conditions are not optimum, wash up takes more time.
On conventional old presses that I worked on it takes half an hour to 45 min to make ready a job after changing colors.
If you do not need to change colors then its 15 min to change plates and quick register.
Change of substrate and substrate size also takes some time on old presses.

I hope this helps.

Asif Qazi

Hi, Asif !

Very grateful to you.
Yes, we are working on old press, 2002 - year of release, 2 pressmen on press.
Speaking about automatization - we have only semi-automatic wahsing system.
My opinion about makeready on this press was: 35-40 min for wash up two sections, change and registr two plates. And glad that you experience is close to my vision.
But, as I said, pressmen "invent" different additional wash ups and other problems in makeready processes.
Asif, if you do not mind, I would like to know your opinion about wash up before coating. Now we talk that before coating need to do two wash ups (about 25 min). But now pressmen convince that before matt coating we need 3 (!!!) wash ups. Of course I don't agree with it.
Can you give evaluate of this ?

Best regards,

Andriy Getmanets
Dyz Art
Lviv, Ukraine

To some extent your pressman is right, you need more washes to run the clear coatings because a small amount of previously used ink can make the coating dirty and it will effect your job appearance.

But this time can be reduced, 1st you need to check if the rollers are in good shape and proper settings are done, next make sure the wash up blades are in good condition. If you keep rollers and wash up blades well maintained, your wash up time will improve substantially.
There are some products that make the color shifting on units quicker, you apply it after 1st wash up and then you do another wash. But again roller and blades must be in good shape.
2002 Press in Pakistan is considered brand new. :eek:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back