Pricing jobs - one product, multiple versions...

jdr999

Simple question, but..

What's the standard practice when a customer wants multiple sets of a single product using different files for each set, such as business cards or rack cards?

Do you bill each set as a new line item at full price?
Do you bill each set as a new line item at a discounted price?
Do you bill the total quantity ordered?
Do you bill the total quantity ordered plus a processing/collating charge?
etc..?

Thanks,
Joe

Depends. But generally, we bill the total quantity ordered if the paper and size are the same. If one is going on uncoated and the other on coated both items will be charged at full price. If I can't put it on one job ticket... Two sets of rack cards at 500 each hardly adds any prepress time but more than two files and we'll up the prepress charge. Two or more sets of business cards will add extra charges for the boxes. We are all digital where the cost for one is the same as many so there really isn't a whole lot of difference in price from 500 or 1000 which is what we are usually dealing with.

Depends on the version change . . if the job is conventional and the "change" is just to the black plate . .. ie a text change we would just charge to change one plate . . etc

Depends. But generally, we bill the total quantity ordered if the paper and size are the same. If one is going on uncoated and the other on coated both items will be charged at full price. If I can't put it on one job ticket... Two sets of rack cards at 500 each hardly adds any prepress time but more than two files and we'll up the prepress charge. Two or more sets of business cards will add extra charges for the boxes. We are all digital where the cost for one is the same as many so there really isn't a whole lot of difference in price from 500 or 1000 which is what we are usually dealing with.

So then if a customer wants 5 sets of 250 business cards each, you would charge for a quantity of 1250? And you would also add for additional pre-press, collating, and packaging? So total print quantity plus your typical labor rates to cover additional time spent?

(I'm still trying to find that fine line between way too nice and slightly greedy..... It's there somewhere -- just need to find it!)

Depends on the version change . . if the job is conventional and the "change" is just to the black plate . .. ie a text change we would just charge to change one plate . . etc

Gotcha. We're all digital so plates aren't an issue for us.

Would you also charge for addition pre-press, collating, and packaging for multiple sets?

No Title

We would probably charge them as separate jobs . . .unless its one variable file umpteen pages long . . cuz it would take a different set up for each job . . now the fulfillment of the job . . .

i.e. 2 ea of item 1, 3 ea of item 2 and 10 ez of item 3 in box one to address ABC, and then 5 ea of item 1, 2 ea of item 2 and 8 ez of item 3 in box two address RTH etc.

I hope I made myself totally confusing with that statement . . . . lol - have a great 4th

Attachments

• photo5738.jpg
    photo5738.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 210
So then if a customer wants 5 sets of 250 business cards each, you would charge for a quantity of 1250? And you would also add for additional pre-press, collating, and packaging? So total print quantity plus your typical labor rates to cover additional time spent?

(I'm still trying to find that fine line between way too nice and slightly greedy..... It's there somewhere -- just need to find it!)

Yes, that is correct.

Yes, that is correct.

The problem with Keith's approach is that your customer should be somewhat intelligent and your invoice really should call attention to the fact that "one order of 250 costs £35" (or whatever) and that they are getting a concession because of the multiple orders.

I have seen cases where Keith's method of pricing (which I STRONGLY approve of) has caused a customer to leave... because the customer has later ordered a single order at the "new" price and has not gotten the lower, ganged price. Ya can't please stupid people who can do maths.

I have worked in shops that would give a flat discount on multiple orders, calling it a multiple order discount. And I have worked in other shops that charged full rate for any qty of order... usually their one-off prices were on the cheap side.

In any case, you should thank the customer for the larger order. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back